+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time Limit for an Express Entry Application

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
Hi All,

I have somewhat of a dumb question: :)

Is there a time limit from the time of the Invitation to Apply, AOR to the time one must land in Canada?

My timeline

Invitation to Apply: Feb/2018
AOR: May/2018
(Medical X-Ray of Spouse deferred due to pregnancy)

Now, do we have to enter Canada before May 2019 (i.e within one year of the AOR)? I know that after you get your passport stamped, you have to land in Canada within 6 months.

Thank you in advance for your answers!! :D:D

shah22393

Nov 6, 2017
Hi All,

Is there a time limit from the time of the Invitation to Apply, AOR to the time one must land in Canada?

My timeline

Now, do we have to enter Canada before May 2019 (i.e within one year of the AOR)? I know that after you get your passport stamped, you have to land in Canada within 6 months.

Wait till your visas get stamped. See the last date before which you can enter and then enter before the date. There is no time limit or method.
It all depends when your visas arrive with the total validity.

Reactions: Supernova

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Hi All,

My timeline

Normally the deadline for entry is one year from medicals.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi All,

My timeline

I think you're confusing some elements. But yes there is a time limit. Explanation...

Short Answer: The date will be written on your CoPR.
Long Answer: You don't have to land in Canada within six months after you get your passport stamped. Your deadline to land in Canada is not directly based on your AOR, ITA date, or when your passport was stamped. It's based either on the date of medical exam or passport expiry date, whichever comes first. (Passport is very rarely an issue when landing, so we won't talk about this requirement).

You have to land in Canada before or on the expiry date of your medical exam, which is usually 1 year after you took it. In some instances, for example when the processing of an application takes longer than usual, they have the discretion of extending the validity of your medicals.

In your particular case, it seems you have taken your medical exam, but your spouse is waiting to give birth. So for now, your application is on standby until Xray is done. Two possible scenarios once CoPR is issued:
1- Given that your medicals will expire before hers, you may be requested to retake it once it expires while your application is being processed.
2- A more likely scenario: Your medicals will be extended because your wife's medicals were postponed, hence a later expiry date.

To sum up, landing should be done within 1 year of medical exam, both for principal applicant and dependents. In some particular cases, the validity of the medicals is extended, and only once you receive CoPR will you know by how long they've extended it.

**Footnote**: Applicants usually have just 6 months to do their landing, because the PR application process itself (6 months) eats up half of the validity of medicals (1 year). But if your application is processed in say 3 months, then you have 9 months do your landing. Which is why it is highly recommended to take medicals as close as possible to application submission.

And congratulations! All the best.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
I think you're confusing some elements. But yes there is a time limit. Explanation...

Short Answer: The date will be written on your CoPR.
Long Answer: You don't have to land in Canada within six months after you get your passport stamped. Your deadline to land in Canada is not directly based on your AOR, ITA date, or when your passport was stamped. It's based either on the date of medical exam or passport expiry date, whichever comes first. (Passport is very rarely an issue when landing, so we won't talk about this requirement).

You have to land in Canada before or on the expiry date of your medical exam, which is usually 1 year after you took it. In some instances, for example when the processing of an application takes longer than usual, they have the discretion of extending the validity of your medicals.

In your particular case, it seems you have taken your medical exam, but your spouse is waiting to give birth. So for now, your application is on standby until Xray is done. Two possible scenarios once CoPR is issued:
1- Given that your medicals will expire before hers, you may be requested to retake it once it expires while your application is being processed.
2- A more likely scenario: Your medicals will be extended because your wife's medicals were postponed, hence a later expiry date.

To sum up, landing should be done within 1 year of medical exam, both for principal applicant and dependents. In some particular cases, the validity of the medicals is extended, and only once you receive CoPR will you know by how long they've extended it.

**Footnote**: Applicants usually have just 6 months to do their landing, because the PR application process itself (6 months) eats up half of the validity of medicals (1 year). But if your application is processed in say 3 months, then you have 9 months do your landing. Which is why it is highly recommended to take medicals as close as possible to application submission.

And congratulations! All the best.
Hope this helps.
I cannot thank you enough for your comprehensive reply. That clears all my doubts. We are planning to land in Canada sometime in June after I complete my Masters. I am hoping we get a medical extension for 2 1/2 months after our Medicals expire on April 19. Otherwise, we can still redo our medicals before we enter Canada.

Thank you again!! :)

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I cannot thank you enough for your comprehensive reply. That clears all my doubts. We are planning to land in Canada sometime in June after I complete my Masters. I am hoping we get a medical extension for 2 1/2 months after our Medicals expire on April 19. Otherwise, we can still redo our medicals before we enter Canada.

Thank you again!! :)
You're welcome. Good luck, and congratulations for the parents-to-be!