+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time constraint in IELTS exam

srinivasng

Feb 25, 2018
Hello,

My name is Srinivas from India. If the IELTS is just for verification of English language know knowledge then why the time of each exam is set with strict limited duration ? why do we have to struggle for skimming and a scanning instead of normal reading ? why can't you extend time atleast for reading and writing from one hour to one and half hour ? Fees for the exam is increasing every year but i cannot see any improvement in helping the candidates.

Chard

Jan 17, 2018
Hello Srinivas,
I took IELTS years ago. I think the time constraint they have given is reasonable, it is pretty much the time they require taking exams in universities. You will notice that if you would be looking for a job in Canada that one of their requirements or qualification is good written and oral communication skills. That practical application in a job is that you might be working under pressure where you have to accurately read and respond immediately.
Actually, constant practice in reading, writing, and listening and understanding them in a limited time duration improves your mind to process things faster under certain time pressure.