+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Those of you whose COPR expired during the COVID travel ban before arrival. How long did the IRCC take to renew your COPR?

Bee1300

Nov 9, 2020
I returned from US to my home country after my student visa has expired. I had a great job that i loved doing. My Canadian PR was approved by the end of 2019 after I returned to my home country.

Soon after, the pandemic hit and flights were halted.

My COPR expired back in june 2020. I've contacted IRCC 3.5 months before the expiry. I've been ask by the IRCC to contact them as soon as I'm ready ro travel and that my visa and COPR would be renewed in due time.

The travel ban in my country has been lifted back in August. I contacted IRCC mid July shortly before the ban is lifted. They contacted me 40 days later in September asking me to resubmit my medicals. Which I did the same week. Its been another 40 days and I hear nothing from them. The only update I have from them is the following

"Dear client,

Please note that your file is ready to be finalized with all requirements met. However the approval cannot be done before the office in your 'home country' is open. We will send instructions once the office is open. "

The thing is the office is my country is open since July as far as I know.

To be honest I would be lying if I told you this isn't frustrating me. My career has been halted since lockdown. I don't know how long it would take me to get my COPR reissued. I don't know if I have to start searching a job in my home country meanwhile should the Reissual take long. Jobs here comes with contracts and the work culture is just bad so I just can't go grab a job exactly.

The uncertainty is killing me.

Thanks for reading,
Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited: