Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
Loulou79 said:
Hi All,

I rented a condo, could the insurance be for 11 months or less?

Thanks
I don't see why it can't be prorated to the length of your lease. Renter's insurance is very cheap though - my own is about $20 I think with decent coverage.

Gamex

Aug 30, 2012
seton said:
I don't see why it can't be prorated to the length of your lease. Renter's insurance is very cheap though - my own is about $20 I think with decent coverage.
:p)

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loulou79 said:
Hi All,

I rented a condo, could the insurance be for 11 months or less?

Thanks
The policy period for most insurance products in Canada is one year. Auto insurance policies can be the exception ... some policies are issued for 6 months at a time. It is simplest and least expensive to pay the premium for an annual insurance policy in a single lump sum payment, although semi-annual, quarterly, bi-monthly and monthly premium payments can generally be arranged with most companies for a small service fee. Insurance companies will not typically write policies for partial terms. When you move to another residence or buy a new auto/dispose of an old one you simply notify the insurance company and they will issue a refund for the unused portion of the policy (computed on a daily pro-rata basis).

As seton mentioned, Renters Insurance is cheap. To give you a better idea of what you might expect, here some details from my policy...

I live in a 2-bedroom/2-bath (ca. 100 sq. meters/1125 sq. ft.) hi-rise condo in downtown Vancouver. I'm insured by BCAA (CAA). My annual premium is $378 with a $200 deductible. My policy includes the following coverages:

(Property Coverage Limits)
Personal Property $82,500
Additional (Emergency) Living Expenses $41,250

(Liability Coverage Limits)
Legal Liability $1,000,000
Voluntary Medical Payments $25,000
Voluntary Payment for Damage to Property $10,000

My policy premium also includes riders (optional supplemental coverages) for Earthquakes, Water Damage, Replacement Cost (rather than the standard cash value) and increased policy limits for Tools ($5,000), Jewelry ($25,000) and Computer Equipment & Electronics ($10,000).

I receive several discounts that help reduce my overall premium amount. The following discounts apply to my policy:
1) Type of Construction (Concrete)
2) Age of Building (2004)
3) Proximity to Fire Hydrant (less than 300 meters)
4) Proximity to Fire Hall (less than 8 km)
5) Monitored Fire/Intrusion Alarm
6) 24-hour Building Concierge
7) BCAA Membership
8) Multi-Policy Discount (I also insure my 2 autos with the company)
9) Claims-free History
10) Loyalty Discount (For every year with the company the annual premium drops by a few dollars)

I elected to go with BCAA since I was already a member (BCAA = British Columbia Automobile Club). Prior to arriving in Canada I was a member of AAA (U.S.) and BCAA gives credit for years of membership in many foreign automobile associations. If you are not already a member, I highly recommend it ... premiums start at around $100 annually and benefits include free maps, 4 free service calls (flat tires/out of gas/dead battery/lockouts/etc.) per year, free towing, and much more. Membership also gets you a discount if you insure through them, which can add up to a substantial amount as the discount increases with each year of membership.

One final thing ... If you have a fairly clean claims history with your current insurance company, be sure to get a letter from them stating how long you've had renter's insurance coverage through them and attesting to your claim-free history. Although BCAA (and other insurance companies) can verify insurance records from U.S. (and a few other nations') companies, most countries do not have an electronically accessible central clearinghouse for insurance data.

Best of luck to you.