+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The immigration doctor said I may need letters from my main doctor....

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
He said that they might request I get letters from my main doctor stating that its okay I'm off some medications i took years ago. Should I just get them now and send them in with my application,so my application doesn't get delayed or should i just wait and see?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kourts said:
He said that they might request I get letters from my main doctor stating that its okay I'm off some medications i took years ago. Should I just get them now and send them in with my application,so my application doesn't get delayed or should i just wait and see?
Doubtful you would need these for a spousal FC application unless the meds were for severe psychosis. Spousal FC applications are exempt from excessive demand.

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
nope, nothing severe like that. He just said since i stopped taking them on my own, without the doctor saying i could that they might need letters from the doctor saying it was okay.

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
From my understanding the medical is to show that you don't have a terminal illness of any kind or an illness that will bleed the health care system such as kidney disease. When my husband did his medical the doctor said that they were checking for things like Hepatitis, HIV, and so on. They also check for drugs such as pot in your pee sample so make sure you're clean before doing your medical!! So I'm not sure why this issue with old medication has come up. I would definitely do some research here. Maybe contact another doctor to see if this really is an issue.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmhughes said:
From my understanding the medical is to show that you don't have a terminal illness of any kind or an illness that will bleed the health care system such as kidney disease. When my husband did his medical the doctor said that they were checking for things like Hepatitis, HIV, and so on. They also check for drugs such as pot in your pee sample so make sure you're clean before doing your medical!! So I'm not sure why this issue with old medication has come up. I would definitely do some research here. Maybe contact another doctor to see if this really is an issue.
They do not check for "pot in your pee". LOL!

There are three things the medical is used for:

1. That the applicant will not cause excessive demand to the Canadian health care system (having serious, chronic and/or terminal illness requiring ongoing and expensive medical care) They assess it on the basis of it costing approximately more than $5000 per year to treat. FC spousal applications are exempt from this.

2. That the applicant does not have an illness that will cause a danger to the Canadian Public Health (SARS, other contagious disease that is active and easily transmittable). For ex. they check for TB and if they find a person has been exposed, do further testing to ensure that it is not active and the applicant has received adequate treatment (to also HELP the applicant).

3. That the applicant does not have an illness that will cause a danger to the Canadian Public Safety (severe and perhaps violent psychosis - schizophrenia with a history of violent episodes comes to mind).

Keep in mind that as doctors, their job is to also protect your health and advise you of any conditions you may have as well as recommend treatment for YOUR benefit, not just a pass/fail for Canadian immigration.

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
Thank you for the help! I think I should be okay. He wrote down why I was on the meds in the first place so I should be fine.

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
rjessome said:
They do not check for "pot in your pee". LOL!

There are three things the medical is used for:

1. That the applicant will not cause excessive demand to the Canadian health care system (having serious, chronic and/or terminal illness requiring ongoing and expensive medical care) They assess it on the basis of it costing approximately more than $5000 per year to treat. FC spousal applications are exempt from this.

2. That the applicant does not have an illness that will cause a danger to the Canadian Public Health (SARS, other contagious disease that is active and easily transmittable). For ex. they check for TB and if they find a person has been exposed, do further testing to ensure that it is not active and the applicant has received adequate treatment (to also HELP the applicant).

3. That the applicant does not have an illness that will cause a danger to the Canadian Public Safety (severe and perhaps violent psychosis - schizophrenia with a history of violent episodes comes to mind).

Keep in mind that as doctors, their job is to also protect your health and advise you of any conditions you may have as well as recommend treatment for YOUR benefit, not just a pass/fail for Canadian immigration.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. One of my colleagues received a phone call from his doctor stating that they found traces of marijuana and that he can re-do his medical (as part of his PR application) at a later date. It was really nice that this British doctor phoned him up and told him rather than sending it out. So my friend re-booked another appointment a month later and he passed his medical (assumed so since he was granted his PR). We both assumed that it came up in his urine sample. Also, he told his doctor that he was amongst people smoking marijuana at a party the weekend before which is probably why it showed up in his medical. So there you have it LOL.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mmhughes said:
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. One of my colleagues received a phone call from his doctor stating that they found traces of marijuana and that he can re-do his medical (as part of his PR application) at a later date. It was really nice that this British doctor phoned him up and told him rather than sending it out. So my friend re-booked another appointment a month later and he passed his medical (assumed so since he was granted his PR). We both assumed that it came up in his urine sample. Also, he told his doctor that he was amongst people smoking marijuana at a party the weekend before which is probably why it showed up in his medical. So there you have it LOL.
Well the doctor wasn't supposed to test for it! Kinda funny that he did. This is what is supposed to be tested from the DMP Handbook:

Provide appropriate age-defined laboratory investigations as specified in Medical Report: Section D; Laboratory Requisition (IMM 5419):

urinalysis (protein, glucose and blood by dipstick—if blood positive, then microscopic report required) for applicants five years and over;
serological test for syphilis for applicants 15 years and over;

HIV testing for applicants 15 years of age and over, as well as for those children who have received blood or blood products, have a known HIV-positive mother, or have an identified risk. An ELISA HIV screening test should be done for HIV 1 and HIV 2; and

serum creatinine if the applicant has hypertension (resting blood pressure greater than 140/90 mm Hg), a history of treated hypertension, diabetes, autoimmune disorder, persistent proteinuria, or kidney disorder.

Note: Excessive demand exempt applicants are not required to undergo serum creatinine testing even if the above-noted conditions are present.

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
they do not check for hepatitis?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
medellinguy said:
they do not check for hepatitis?
NO, which is ridiculous, given the sky-high hepatitis rates in China, Taiwan, and other places.

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
canadianwoman said:
NO, which is ridiculous, given the sky-high hepatitis rates in China, Taiwan, and other places.
Why would it be ridiculous? They check for HIV and Canada's rate is extremely low, especially in comparison to let's say Botswana. And Hepatitis takes a lot of TLC on the medical front.

gagansingh

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2011
rjessome said:
Doubtful you would need these for a spousal FC application unless the meds were for severe psychosis. Spousal FC applications are exempt from excessive demand.

i agree with u....

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
mmhughes said:
Why would it be ridiculous? They check for HIV and Canada's rate is extremely low, especially in comparison to let's say Botswana. And Hepatitis takes a lot of TLC on the medical front.
Yes, I agree. I think they should check for Hepatitis B and C, but they don't (as far as I know).