+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The Conversavative Government is just lying

youqing

Mar 12, 2014
Regarding the Bill C-24, the minister says that only about 13% of applicants use time before PR to count towards residence. This is absolutely misleading and it is a lie!!

I am certainly sure that the 13% number is largely flawed.

Here is the case:
Most people submit their Citizenship application with counting the PR days. But the Citizenship application process is so long that many of them have enough residence time when their case is reviewed.

In addition, if the government raise the required PR time for Citizenship application from 2 years to 4 years, then definitely more than 13% people will be affected.

What dirty politicians we have!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can understanding why the government is doing this, basically in an effort to get people to actually settle in Canada and stay in Canada. Often times people come here complete their PR requirements and either go back or keep half their family here and the other half in their home country. Fast forward 5 years when their PR is about to expire then they make all efforts to come back to Canada for a few months, renew their PR and then again go back. So the cycle continues

hasb1901

Feb 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have any proof supporting your affirmation ( more than 13%) ? or is it just your feeling . . .

youqing said:
Regarding the Bill C-24, the minister says that only about 13% of applicants use time before PR to count towards residence. This is absolutely misleading and it is a lie!!

I am certainly sure that the 13% number is largely flawed.

Here is the case:
Most people submit their Citizenship application with counting the PR days. But the Citizenship application process is so long that many of them have enough residence time when their case is reviewed.

In addition, if the government raise the required PR time for Citizenship application from 2 years to 4 years, then definitely more than 13% people will be affected.

What dirty politicians we have!

daktrader

Apr 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True...
The law suggests that Canadian Citizens are free to move anywhere they want...
As far as PR is concerned; they will have to follow stricter measures such as exit controls to track the actual physical time spend as a resident in Canada.

newtone said:
I can understanding why the government is doing this, basically in an effort to get people to actually settle in Canada and stay in Canada. Often times people come here complete their PR requirements and either go back or keep half their family here and the other half in their home country. Fast forward 5 years when their PR is about to expire then they make all efforts to come back to Canada for a few months, renew their PR and then again go back. So the cycle continues

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While the government has stretched the truth on many matters regarding citizenship, we can't judge the truth or falseness of this claim until the CIC releases the actual statistics to the public. Which I doubt they will do any time soon.

Let's not turn our noses up at 13% though. That's more than 40,000 people per year. 40,000 can significantly influence the votes of their families and communities. Also political parties will think long and hard before writing off 40,000 engaged and active future voters.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
We believe what we wanted to believe, and in the meantime tend to forget that we are just human - we are greedy, selfish, and racist, as this is in our true nature regardless whether you are Canadian, Indian, Chinese or Russian. The truth is sad but the human nature has never changed.
We believe this bill is bad, but in the end it is just another “normal” bill supported by the “normal” people who have the “normal” human nature.

danpat

Apr 29, 2014
hasb1901 said:
Do you have any proof supporting your affirmation ( more than 13%) ? or is it just your feeling . . .
That was the number quoted by a CIC staffer during the recent discussions on Bill C-24. It was given in response to a question about why the pre-PR time was being removed in the bill.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Wait...they haven't said anything yet on whether they will NOT give credit to pre-PR time...discussions and C-24 study are happening just now...

Someone on here sashali78 and some others I hear are also talking to the committee... democracy at play ! very nice !

danpat

Apr 29, 2014
Well, the bill explicitly removes the use of pre-PR time when counting towards citizenship, that seems pretty clear that they will not credit it to me.

I think we'll see it re-appear, my guess is that it was only removed to use as a bargaining chip during negotiations. Given that there are things like the "Canadian Experience" PR class, it makes no sense to not acknowledge pre-PR time for some groups of citizenship applications.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
danpat said:
Well, the bill explicitly removes the use of pre-PR time when counting towards citizenship, that seems pretty clear that they will not credit it to me.

I think we'll see it re-appear, my guess is that it was only removed to use as a bargaining chip during negotiations. Given that there are things like the "Canadian Experience" PR class, it makes no sense to not acknowledge pre-PR time for some groups of citizenship applications.
there are only 12000 applicants a year for CEC, so the 13% number may not be far from truth. thats close to 1/7 of all applications for PR.