+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Travel Document for a Permanent Resident

maisoui

Apr 26, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am not sure, if someone has been in my situation. I think according to a letter from the CIC I received, I am supposed to fly to Ontario and visit the CIC office to pick up my renewed PR Card. I have to take all my documents with me, including all paperwork I used to apply for my PR renewal.

Since my PR Card has expired and I am outside of Canada I applied for a Temporary Travel Document for a Permanent Resident at the Canadian Embassy.
I understand I need this document. What I don't understand is the math the Embassy does. When I applied at the CIC in Ontario for my renewal of my PR Card the 730 days of my physical presence in Canada in the last 5 years were calculated from the day of my application.

I don't understand why the Canadian Embassy in Paris is now calculating my physical presence in Canada but THIS TIME from the date I applied for the TEMPORARY TRAVEL DOCUMENT AS A PERMANENT RESIDENT. They will end up with totally different numbers.

Does anyone have more insight on this topic?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
maisoui said:
Hello Everyone,

I am not sure, if someone has been in my situation. I think according to a letter from the CIC I received, I am supposed to fly to Ontario and visit the CIC office to pick up my renewed PR Card. I have to take all my documents with me, including all paperwork I used to apply for my PR renewal.

Since my PR Card has expired and I am outside of Canada I applied for a Temporary Travel Document for a Permanent Resident at the Canadian Embassy.
I understand I need this document. What I don't understand is the math the Embassy does. When I applied at the CIC in Ontario for my renewal of my PR Card the 730 days of my physical presence in Canada in the last 5 years were calculated from the day of my application.

I don't understand why the Canadian Embassy in Paris is now calculating my physical presence in Canada but THIS TIME from the date I applied for the TEMPORARY TRAVEL DOCUMENT AS A PERMANENT RESIDENT. They will end up with totally different numbers.

Please post this in the PR subforum:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/permanent-residence-in-canada-b57.0/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
maisoui said:
Hello Everyone,

When you apply for a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document), they will do a complete reassessment of your current compliance with the residency obligation requirements. This is independent and separate from any previous assessment done for the PR card renewal. If this new assessment indicates that you are not currently in compliance, you may be refused the PRTD and revocation proceedings commenced by the visa office that you applied to. Having a PR card waiting for you in Canada will not prevent this new assessment.