+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Visa for Worker in Canada with a Work Permit

DjDLX

Jul 21, 2009
Hi all, I am from China but I am currently working in Canada with a valid work permit but need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV), so I am able to return to Canada after going on vacation outside of Canada. I have some questions about applying for the TRV that I would appreciate some help with. The form that I found for obtaining a TRV is the IMM 5257 (05-2005) B, titled "Application for a Temporary Resident Visa made Outside of Canada", since I am currently living in Canada is this the correct form to use?

If so, I have the following questions about various sections of the form..
1) Section 3 - Would the correct purpose of my visit be "Business" or "Other" with a note regarding the work permit?
2) Section 4 - What should I fill in for the start? Should it be left blank since I'm already in Canada or fill in the last time I entered Canada?
3) Section 8 - I'm applying in Canada, so is the correct choice "Worker"?
4) Section 13 - I've been in Canada for the past six years but I'm a Chinese Citizen, so do I need to fill in Canada for this section?

Also, I'm not a Permanent Residence of Canada yet.

Thank you so much for your help! If any additional details are needed please feel free to ask.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Yes IMM 5257 is the correct form. You can only apply for the TRV outside of Canada (at the closest Canada Consulate/Embassy). You can mail your application to the Embassy if you do not plan to go personally.

1) Yes, it would be other (work).
2) You can mention, either from the date of your TRV expiry or from the date when you file your TRV application.
3) Yes that would be correct.
4) Yes you would need to fill Canada as you are not a PR yet.