+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary import car on a student visa

reidp

Jul 3, 2024
Hello,

I'm originally from the US and have been here on a student visa for the past 3 or so years. In the process of switching over my registration to my current province, I was told I needed to import my car. I go to the Canadian Border Services office nearby and they mention that I need to export my car at the US border before I import it, however, talking with a couple peers (international students who have cars from the US), it seems like they were told they didn't have to export when they initially crossed the border into Canada and could just go through a temporary import afterwards. One person in particular was able to do this (get a temporary import at the Canadian Border Services office without exporting beforehand) and didn't seem to have any issues.

I'm not sure what to--I can't seem to find any documentation that explicitly outlines the need to export the car before a temporary import. I'm getting conflicting information from border services (agents at the border who say it's fine to do a temporary import afterwards versus agents at the border services office who stress that you need to export before you import). I'm not sure if I've made it clear that I'm here on a student visa.