+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temp worker

meak

Jul 28, 2012
I just got some promising news from an immigration call center worker today. I am a temporary resident. My husband will not sponsor me. I had no idea but I can apparently go to an employer where I am living and seek work, and also a labour market opinion. I am curious as to what I need to do before I seek employment? I can only work for hospitality, mostly. Craigslist etc, too. Anyone know what I should be doing to try and land a job? Any specifics are highly appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You will need a work permit to be able to work legally in Canada. In order to qualify for a work permit, you will first need to find an employer who is willing to hire you. Once you've found an employer, that employer must first advertise the job for a minimum of one month to prove they could not find a Canadian for the role. Once they have met the advertising requirement, they must then submit the LMO (labour market opinion) application for processing. This processing takes anywhere from 6-20 weeks (this is in addition to the 1 month of advertising required). If the LMO is approved (not all are), you then qualify to apply for a work permit.

It tends to be quite difficult to find employers who are willing to go through the LMO process because the process is so long, costs the employer money and there's no guarantee the LMO will be approved in the end. It tends to be easier to find an employer if you have very specialized skills or experience that isn't easily found in Canada.

There's really no trick to finding an employer. You just have to keep trying through job web sites (e.g. workopolis.ca, monster.ca, Canadian Job Bank) and hope you get lucky and find an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process.

Good luck.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
For a bit of silver lining, several provinces allow unnamed LMO's though often for low skilled jobs. But many times employers are looking for right people and they have had LMO's already on which names can be added latter.

I have seen those posted even on this forum a few times over the last 2 years.

If you have the profile some body is looking for with an LMO, and combine the fact that you are already in Canada, you might have a good chance.

Please note: This is in ADDITION to what scylla said already and in general things are exactly as she said.

meak

Jul 28, 2012
"Work permit for Canada: What is a Labour Market Opinion (LMO)?
The LMO is a document issued by the Canadian government to your employer. It will allow you, a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW), to obtain a sponsored work permit for Canada. It is a fast, cheap process that was created to allow Canadian employers to fill positions in their companies with foreign workers if they are unable to find a Canadian to do the job. The government issues a positive or negative Labour Market Opinion (LMO) to your employer approximately 12 weeks after application. You, the potential employee, then use this LMO to obtain your new visa either at the nearest border, or by post. Visa fees are usually about $150. The LMO will state the conditions for work in Canada, including wages, hours and the duration of the LMO permit."