+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax experts! Please help!

vehementsnow

Mar 10, 2010
First year filing tax. Need your help!

My situation.
1) I went to University of British Columbia for 5 years (2003-2008). Paid International tuition.
2) Now working with my Post-Graduate Work permit.

This is the first time filing tax for me. Because I have one job which the employer deducts a portion of my pay for tax, my tax filing does not seem too difficult. However, I am concerned with the HUGE amount of money I spent going to UBC. Can I benefit from this at all? Can I get some money back from CRA?

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
You should have file taxes during your years of studying in UBC. Even if you did not have any income at the time, the tuition cost are tax deductions that you can carry forward and especially helpful now that you started working. Also, you could have received GST returns.

You can still file taxes for 2003-2008 years, and claim your tuition costs.
What you need is Tax forms from previous year, which can be obtained from Canada Revenue Agency www.cra-arc.gc.ca
You will also need tax receipts issued by the university each year you studied there.

Edit: The tax receipt you receive from university is T2202A and you claim it in Schedule 11 of the federal return

vehementsnow

Mar 10, 2010
Thank you so much for your helpful answer.
So now I have my T2202A with me. Now I am trying to obtain tax forms from previous years.
Do I just need schedule 11 for the previous forms?