+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax and benefits for UN employees

safiullahliaqat

May 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I am working for the United Nations Peacekeeping missions outside Canada and my family lives in Toronto. My wife will soon start the LINC program and I have two children who are 4 and 2 years old. My status is refugee protected person and my PR is in under process.

My questions are;

1. Is my income from the UN (salary+other entitlments) is considered as zero income here in Canada ?
2. Can I apply for Subsidy for my two children daycare ?
3. Is the child tax benefits calculated at maximum rates if my income considered as zero.

Any other information regarding this will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
safiullahliaqat said:
Dear All,

I am working for the United Nations Peacekeeping missions outside Canada and my family lives in Toronto. My wife will soon start the LINC program and I have two children who are 4 and 2 years old. My status is refugee protected person and my PR is in under process.

My questions are;

1. Is my income from the UN (salary+other entitlments) is considered as zero income here in Canada ?
2. Can I apply for Subsidy for my two children daycare ?
3. Is the child tax benefits calculated at maximum rates if my income considered as zero.

Any other information regarding this will be highly appreciated.
Thank you
If you are working directly for the UN (rather than one of its agencies), then your income will generally be tax free in Canada. However, you must report the income in full, and then apply a tax treaty deduction to get it to zero. As a result, you will have to report your gross income which will determine your child tax benefit eligibility, so you will likely not get the maximum benefits (which is reserved for those people who truly have no income). (http://madanca.com/blog/un-employees-tax-exempt/)

I'm not sure about daycare subsidies.