+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching university offer acceptance while my study permit application is pending

Uaishat42

May 24, 2021
Hi! So i received an offer from Ryerson in February, 2021, which I accepted. I applied for my study permit indicating Ryerson as my intended post-secondary institution (using their letter of acceptance, DLI #, etc.) But after attempting to make international payments without success through their Western Union Global Students pay method, I am considering switching to York - they have a CIBC international pay method which has worked without issue for my siblings in the past.

My question is, how would this switch affect my pending study permit application? What would i need to do to facilitate this change? Withdraw and reapply? Or something else?

I would really appreciate any advice I could get on this. Thanks so much in advance

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Switching DLI just because of payment methods is kinda weird.
Since your application is still in progress, you just need to send the new LOA (and an updated SOP) to IRCC via the webform.

ETA: I read Yorkville instead of York. York is a great school :).

Reactions: Uaishat42

Uaishat42

May 24, 2021
Switching DLI just because of payment methods is kinda weird.
Since your application is still in progress, you just need to send the new LOA (and an updated SOP) to IRCC via the webform.

ETA: I read Yorkville instead of York. York is a great school :).
Thanks for the input, could you please clarify what SOP is?

Also it's not so much the payment method. Ryerson uses Western Union Global pay which goes through the U.S. Bank. The tuition deposit payment I attempted was flagged for OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) investigations and returned to sender, the reason given was that my name has been associated with Al-Qaeda (which is a little ridiculous for a 17 year old kid to hear but whatever). The thing is I obviously cannot change my name, so I can only imagine that future attempts to pay though the same method would have the same results. So i would just rather switch to York since it was my second choice anyway, hope that provided some more context. Thanks again

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Also it's not so much the payment method. Ryerson uses Western Union Global pay which goes through the U.S. Bank. The tuition deposit payment I attempted was flagged for OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) investigations and returned to sender, the reason given was that my name has been associated with Al-Qaeda (which is a little ridiculous for a 17 year old kid to hear but whatever). The thing is I obviously cannot change my name, so I can only imagine that future attempts to pay though the same method would have the same results. So i would just rather switch to York since it was my second choice anyway, hope that provided some more context. Thanks again
SOP - statement of purpose. Refers to your stud plan. Did you not include one in your current application?

Uaishat42

May 24, 2021
SOP - statement of purpose. Refers to your stud plan. Did you not include one in your current application?
I don't believe so. I'm currently on a study permit for secondary school in Ontario right now so I think my application is more of an extension/condition change? I was asked for: imm5709e application form, passport, LOA, digital photo, proof of financial support, schedule 1 form - that should be all.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I don't believe so. I'm currently on a study permit for secondary school in Ontario right now so I think my application is more of an extension/condition change? I was asked for: imm5709e application form, passport, LOA, digital photo, proof of financial support, schedule 1 form - that should be all.
Ha, more context upfront is always best :). Since you are already inside Canada, you only need to change your DLI on the GCKey portal once you get your SP. But you can also just send the new LOA via webform.

Uaishat42

May 24, 2021
Ha, more context upfront is always best :). Since you are already inside Canada, you only need to change your DLI on the GCKey portal once you get your SP. But you can also just send the new LOA via webform.
Okay, thank you for your help. This is my first post on any forum here, so I'm learning what's relevant information vs. not. Now I know a little bit more, thanks again.

Reactions: wonderbly

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Banks in Canada have correspondence relationship with financial institutions in the United States and SWIFT transfers inform of US$ currency transiting through the U.S.

If you have had issues with your name, they may flag it again sending to CIBC. Back to square one. Alternatively you could speak with the school and have someone like a Parent or guardian pay on your behalf