+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from Spousal work permit to work sponsorship. Please help!!!!

Mitch0502

Jul 28, 2024
Can someone who has spousal work permit switch to a work-sponsored visa without having to use the spousal Post graduate work permit? The fellow is currently living in Canada. Please kindly advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can someone who has spousal work permit switch to a work-sponsored visa without having to use the spousal Post graduate work permit? The fellow is currently living in Canada. Please kindly advise.
So person is on SOWP and has a job offer with approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit?

Reactions: rafik.bappy

Mitch0502

Jul 28, 2024
Yes please.

Also any email of an immigration focused firm who can execute will be greatly appreciated by the person

Saba91

Star Member
May 16, 2024
@Naturgrl Please see this

I studied two years and then got a pgwp which will expire in few months. While studying and pgwp, my spouse was not with me i.e. my spouse didnt apply for any kind of spouse open work permit.

My question is: if my spouse now applies for a masters program and gets accepted, am i eligible for spouse open wotk permit ?

Regards

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Naturgrl Please see this

I studied two years and then got a pgwp which will expire in few months. While studying and pgwp, my spouse was not with me i.e. my spouse didnt apply for any kind of spouse open work permit.

My question is: if my spouse now applies for a masters program and gets accepted, am i eligible for spouse open wotk permit ?

Regards
No. You can no longer take turns getting study permits and SOWP. Your spouse can apply for a study permit but you will not qualify for an SOWP. Too many spouses were alternating between Study permit/PGWP and SOWPs to extend their stays in Canada so IRCC put a stop to it.

Saba91

Star Member
May 16, 2024
No. You can no longer take turns getting study permits and SOWP. Your spouse can apply for a study permit but you will not qualify for an SOWP. Too many spouses were alternating between Study permit/PGWP and SOWPs to extend their stays in Canada so IRCC put a stop to it.
Thanks for your time in responding to my question:
But my spouse never had any spouse open work permit...... even then this rule applies ?
I mean.....my spouse never had any spouse work permit while i was a student or pgwp holder..........

any thoughts?