+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrender and OCI in India

PeachShark

Jan 17, 2015
Hi,

I need to travel to India in March and stay there for almost an year, I will receive my Canada Passport by next week. As the process of Surrender and getting the OCI takes almost 3-4 months, can I take the following path?
1. Without Surrendering the Indian Passport travel to India with Indian Passport
2. Surrender the Indian Passport in India.
3. Apply for OCI card in India.
4. Return back to Canada after 1 year with my Canadian Passport.

Could someone let me know?

Thanks!

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Hi,

I need to travel to India in March and stay there for almost an year, I will receive my Canada Passport by next week. As the process of Surrender and getting the OCI takes almost 3-4 months, can I take the following path?
1. Without Surrendering the Indian Passport travel to India with Indian Passport

Thanks!
Has been discussed in multiple forums but after you become a Canadian citizen, you cannot travel on Indian passport. Your best case scenario is to apply for Indian passport surrender and apply for e-visa, and stay for 180 days.

vaas2018

Oct 13, 2018
Hello @PeachShark
Varunaimar is right: Once Canadian passport is received, Canadian passport must be used for travel.
Entry X Visa (Indian origin) can be used to enter India and possible to apply for OCI in India.
3. Apply for OCI card in India: There still needs to be more clarity on this.
But this is a good post:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travel-to-india-after-oath-on-indian-passport.749934/post-9819099

Let me know if you found a better post for OCI in India

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

Thanks!
you have enough time.
surrender Indian passport time 4 to 6 week max
apply OCI card max time 6 week now
before travel this is easily complete
note- keep in mind you no have PR card departure and arrival air line check PR CARD,E-VISA, OCI depend on passport

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello @PeachShark
Varunaimar is right: Once Canadian passport is received, Canadian passport must be used for travel.
Entry X Visa (Indian origin) can be used to enter India and possible to apply for OCI in India.
3. Apply for OCI card in India: There still needs to be more clarity on this.
But this is a good post:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travel-to-india-after-oath-on-indian-passport.749934/post-9819099

Let me know if you found a better post for OCI in India
That was post from Feb 2023 that you replied to ;)