+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting Documents for a Sponsor - not working in Canada

adamhopkins

Feb 28, 2017
Hello all, here is my situation, I'm hoping someone could offer some advice.

I'm living in Canada on a two year work permit with my girlfriend, who is Canadian. Currently I work as a freelance web designer/developer with most if not all of my income coming from the UK, where I'm from.

We are beginning our permanent residency application and have noticed on the supporting documents for my sponsor (girlfriend), it asks for Employment/Source of Support.

We are running into difficulty on this as currently my girlfriend is not working, she is taking a full time post-graduate course and having a job just isn't feasable to fit in around her school schedule. Right now, she has a grant from OSAP which would cover a certain amount of living costs. I'm fully able to support myself and her to an extent from my own work.

So in a nutshell, the application is asking my girlfriend how she can financially support me and the answer is I can support myself. How can I apply this to the application. Would I need to submit a written note of sorts explaining the situation? Or would some form of documentation be required?

Any help would be much appreciated

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hello all, here is my situation, I'm hoping someone could offer some advice.

I'm living in Canada on a two year work permit with my girlfriend, who is Canadian. Currently I work as a freelance web designer/developer with most if not all of my income coming from the UK, where I'm from.

We are beginning our permanent residency application and have noticed on the supporting documents for my sponsor (girlfriend), it asks for Employment/Source of Support.

We are running into difficulty on this as currently my girlfriend is not working, she is taking a full time post-graduate course and having a job just isn't feasable to fit in around her school schedule. Right now, she has a grant from OSAP which would cover a certain amount of living costs. I'm fully able to support myself and her to an extent from my own work.

So in a nutshell, the application is asking my girlfriend how she can financially support me and the answer is I can support myself. How can I apply this to the application. Would I need to submit a written note of sorts explaining the situation? Or would some form of documentation be required?

Any help would be much appreciated
There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse/partner so the fact she is a student wont be a problem. I know that as a sponsor she cant be receiving social assistance/benefits, but i dont think her grant would count as that - someone with more knowledge should chime in here to help and advise.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Would I need to submit a written note of sorts explaining the situation?
Yes, exactly this. Sponsor just needs to convince the visa officer with a financial plan that you will not go on social assistance/welfare after getting PR.

She can also indicate what type of job/salary she expects to get after graduation.