+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa for my Step Mom

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hello,

I have bit of a conundrum. My biological mother died in 1992. It has been so long that I likely don't even have her death certificate. She is mentioned as my mother in my birth certificate. My dad remarried a few years after my mother died. Is it possible to invite my step mom to Canada on a SuperVisa? The case for my father is straightforward as he is mentioned on my birth certificate.

One documentation that I can provide for my mother is a Family Registration Certificate. In Pakistan, this government provided certificate lists my entire family (my parents, and siblings). On this certificate, it is my step mom that is listed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have bit of a conundrum. My biological mother died in 1992. It has been so long that I likely don't even have her death certificate. She is mentioned as my mother in my birth certificate. My dad remarried a few years after my mother died. Is it possible to invite my step mom to Canada on a SuperVisa? The case for my father is straightforward as he is mentioned on my birth certificate.

One documentation that I can provide for my mother is a Family Registration Certificate. In Pakistan, this government provided certificate lists my entire family (my parents, and siblings). On this certificate, it is my step mom that is listed.
Only possible if she formally adopted you when you were still a minor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think we have a formal documentation process unless it was a different family. Could she apply as a dependent of my father?
That is not possible to the best of my knowledge but wait for others to respond.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She needs to show documentation in the application that she is your parent by blood or adoption.

Proof of RelationshipYes – super visa applicationProof of your relationship with the person or family member inviting you to Canada.This can include a copy of

• a birth certificate
  • an official document naming you as a parent
Submit with super visa application

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
She needs to show documentation in the application that she is your parent by blood or adoption.

Proof of RelationshipYes – super visa applicationProof of your relationship with the person or family member inviting you to Canada.This can include a copy of

• a birth certificate
  • an official document naming you as a parent
Submit with super visa application
Thank you. I was hoping you'd reply - I saw some of your other posts for SuperVisas.

I think my best shot would be to apply for a visit visa for her or alternatively as a dependent on my father. Is that possible?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. I was hoping you'd reply - I saw some of your other posts for SuperVisas.

I think my best shot would be to apply for a visit visa for her or alternatively as a dependent on my father. Is that possible?
She is not a dependant of your father. She applies with him as Primary applicant but she has her own application. If she applies for a Supervisa it is processed separate from your father.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Sorry could you clarify what you mean a little. I read here and here that spouses or common-law partners can be included in a SuperVisa application.
  1. If this is the case, her application would also be a SuperVisa application, correct?
  2. If it a SuperVisa application as well, then she would be included in the Family Size calculation for LICO, correct?
  3. And further, if she is indeed a SuperVisa applicant, then she would also require 1-year medical insurance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Sorry could you clarify what you mean a little. I read here and here that spouses or common-law partners can be included in a SuperVisa application.
  1. If this is the case, her application would also be a SuperVisa application, correct?
  2. If it a SuperVisa application as well, then she would be included in the Family Size calculation for LICO, correct?
  3. And further, if she is indeed a SuperVisa applicant, then she would also require 1-year medical insurance.
Super visa for parents and grandparents: Who can apply - Canada.ca

You can’t include dependants in this application.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Yes, I found that as well. But then in the next page it says this:

How to calculate family size
To confirm your host’s minimum necessary income, include the following people in the family size count:

• yourself and any other super visa applicant applying at the same time (such as your spouse or common-law partner)
  • host child or grandchild
  • host’s spouse (which might include a separated spouse) or common-law partner
  • dependent children of the host and of their spouse or common-law partner
  • previously approved super visa applicants
    • These are super visa holders that were in another letter of invitation, signed by the host or the host’s spouse or common-law partner, that is still applicable.
  • previously sponsored individuals

If a common-law partner or spouse is mentioned, instead of a 2nd parent, I think it implies that a spouse can also apply?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, I found that as well. But then in the next page it says this:

If a common-law partner or spouse is mentioned, instead of a 2nd parent, I think it implies that a spouse can also apply?
That's when the partner or spouse is the blood parent of the "child sponsoring" .

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
That's when the partner or spouse is the blood parent of the "child sponsoring" .
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up. I had my hopes up.

But I guess I can apply a Visitor visa for her and she can accompany my dad who would be on SuperVisa. Is such an approach workable?