+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa to employer specific work permit

Rubydairy

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
Hello All, my parents are here on super visa, can my mum apply to employer specific work permit (without LMIA)? What will happen to the super visa (bearing in mind that it is 10 years). My dad will not be working, will be also need to change his visa as a dependant or will he continue with his super visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All, my parents are here on super visa, can my mum apply to employer specific work permit (without LMIA)? What will happen to the super visa (bearing in mind that it is 10 years). My dad will not be working, will be also need to change his visa as a dependant or will he continue with his super visa
She needs a LMIA. And then she can apply for a closed work permit.

Rubydairy

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
She needs a LMIA. And then she can apply for a closed work permit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding, based on the information below is that the requirements have been updated and currently, no LMIA is required is the switching from visitor to employer specific work permit, unless it's is the interim authorization to work.

"
Eligibility requirements for visitors to apply for an employer-specific work permit
The foreign national

1. is in Canada with valid temporary resident status as a visitor, including status extensions under subsection 183(5) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), that is, maintained status, at the time of work permit application submission
  2. has submitted an employer-specific work permit application using the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]
  3. has remained in Canada with status since application submission
  4. submitted the application on or before February 28, 2023"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding, based on the information below is that the requirements have been updated and currently, no LMIA is required is the switching from visitor to employer specific work permit, unless it's is the interim authorization to work.

"
Eligibility requirements for visitors to apply for an employer-specific work permit
The foreign national

1. is in Canada with valid temporary resident status as a visitor, including status extensions under subsection 183(5) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), that is, maintained status, at the time of work permit application submission
  2. has submitted an employer-specific work permit application using the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html
This policy has been in place for a few years and allows visitors to apply for a employer-specific work permit. To apply for an employer-specific work permit, she needs a LMIA. It just means she can wait in Canada while the LMIA and work permit is being processed. You only pasted part of the link. You need to read the whole document.

“Applicants must submit a complete employer-specific work permit application, including a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or LMIA-exempt offer of employment and, if applicable, a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).”

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

"
The foreign national

That's an incorrect interpretation of the above. All this rule does is allow visitors to Canada to apply for a work permit from within Canada (rather than being forced to send the application outside of Canada). It doesn't allow you to by-pass the LMIA requirement or make the work permit LMIA exempt. The LMIA is still required.

Rubydairy

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
This policy has been in place for a few years and allows visitors to apply for a employer-specific work permit. To apply for an employer-specific work permit, she needs a LMIA. It just means she can wait in Canada while the LMIA and work permit is being processed. You only pasted part of the link. You need to read the whole document.

“Applicants must submit a complete employer-specific work permit application, including a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or LMIA-exempt offer of employment and, if applicable, a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).”
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking that part only applies to those applying for interim authorization to work.

Rubydairy

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
That's an incorrect interpretation of the above. All this rule does is allow visitors to Canada to apply for a work permit from within Canada (rather than being forced to send the application outside of Canada). It doesn't allow you to by-pass the LMIA requirement or make the work permit LMIA exempt. The LMIA is still required.
Thanks for the clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking that part only applies to those applying for interim authorization to work.
That's an incorrect interpretation unfortunately.

What kind of job / occupation is she applying for? There are some circumstances where an LMIA is not required. But it would have to be based on another policy or rule. This policy/rule isn't it and does not exempt her from an LMIA. What is the NOC of her job offer?

Rubydairy

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
That's an incorrect interpretation unfortunately.

What kind of job / occupation is she applying for? There are some circumstances where an LMIA is not required. But it would have to be based on another policy or rule. This policy/rule isn't it and does not exempt her from an LMIA. What is the NOC of her job offer?
She doesn't have a job offer at this time, just searching for options and getting things right before starting

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She doesn't have a job offer at this time, just searching for options and getting things right before starting
So if she begins job searching, she will need to be upfront that she doesn’t have work authorization and the employer will need to file a LMIA, pay the $1k and then the employer will have to wait for approval. Even with approved LMIA, she can’t work but must file for work permit. She can wait within Canada.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the advice above. Her employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for her to qualify for a closed work permit. She should be open with employers about this requirement up front given the cost, time and work effort involved.

Hly

Jul 7, 2018
Hi everyone. I'm a visitor, being inside Canada and just got an offer letter as a babysitter for a Canadian's family. Can I apply for a closed working permit under the programme of child caregiver? I've learned that the IRCC just closed the programme of home childcare .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone. I'm a visitor, being inside Canada and just got an offer letter as a babysitter for a Canadian's family. Can I apply for a closed working permit under the programme of child caregiver? I've learned that the IRCC just closed the programme of home childcare .
The family needs to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.

Reactions: Hly

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Here is the link for the family to begin the process. The family will need to show that they posted the job on websites and couldn’t hire a Canadian or PR. The offer must be full-time and the wage must be the average wage for your region. Once LMIA processed and approved (months), then you apply for a closed work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver.html

Reactions: Hly and YVR123

Hly

Jul 7, 2018