Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Mar-2012
AOR Received.
28-Jun-2012
Med's Done....
30-Dec-2011
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012 (Got a wrong req, so sent PP only on 3rd sep)
Hi Friends,
Need your advice.

I am planning to apply for PR for my parents (aged 56 & 50) in next year when the parent sponsorship category opens up.
In the meantime I want them to come here and stay with us for at least around a year.

My question is should we go for Super Visa or Visitor and then get an extension after 6 months.

Only reason I am not inclined towards Super Visa is because it is more expensive, requires a medical exam (my dad has some blood pressure & diabetes issues) and as per CIC website it take 8 weeks to get it.

Whereas visitor visa takes only 2 weeks (this is what I heard from my friends who applied in Mumbai, India), requires no medical exam and no expensive Insurance.

Also, I dont know if CIC will reject or purposely delay PR applications for those parents who have a Super Visa (since they can stay for upto 10 years.

Can anyone guide me on this.

Also does anyone know;
1. how likely it is to get a 10 year multiple entry Visitor Visa vs. a 6 month visitor visa.
2. How likely it is to get an extension of the visitor visa after 6 months in a stay are complete?

THanks,
Adi

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
The Decision on what type of visa is entirely up to you but CIC often tend to use their best judgment even if you apply for a particular type of visa.

I am writing this from experience and the same recently happened to me where my in-laws only wanted to visit for about two months and we thought a visitor visa will suffice at least we won’t have to worry for insurance or medical.

We applied online, selected visitor visa but guess what, a request for medical and insurance came from CIC. The application was processed as a super visa application and just waiting for the return of the passports.

So in summary, if you apply for regular visitor visa (Multiple Entries), the above could occur and I don’t think the means to go back and forth with them requesting to process the application as you applied will be a wise thing to do and to answer your specific questions

1 ) no one can guarantee the likelihood of anything. It all depends on documentation and perhaps luck
2) An extension is not guaranteed either so it could go both ways

Good luck !!!