+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - Letter Promising Financial Support

Absolute99

Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the super visa for parents/grandparents, that I was looking for advice on. Specifically, regarding the letter of support that we need to write for the person applying.

We are looking at providing it to my wife's mother, who is currently a Canadian PR, but is giving it up to return to Austria and re-gain that citizenship, since she can't have dual (details later on).

On the government page - and searching in these forums - it states that we need to write a letter promising financial support; yet on the Letter of Invitation page, it states:

Writing a letter of invitation does not mean you are legally responsible for the visitor once he or she gets to Canada. You should still write the letter in good faith. You must tell the truth and plan to keep the promises you make in the letter.​

My question is, while the letter may promise financial support, it seems like it is actually not legally enforceable? We have no issue supporting - I just want to make sure that we go in with our eyes wide open.

Background: My wife and her parents were born in Austria, and came to Canada in 1987. They gave up their Austrian citizenship to become Canadian PR's, since dual citizenship is not permitted, but with my wife's brother (and all of her mother's family and relatives) living in Austria with kids, she wants to return to spend time with them, and has been pushed by Austria to switch her citizenship to live there.

Since we have kids, she wants to obtain the Canadian super visa to come see her kids and grandkids still in Canada, without needing a TRV. We meet all the Canadian requirements for sponsorship financially and otherwise (I was born in Canada), but want to make sure that we're conscious of any financial implication, having kids to support. She has a steady pension as a widow of a Swiss citizen to support herself, as well.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the super visa for parents/grandparents, that I was looking for advice on. Specifically, regarding the letter of support that we need to write for the person applying.

We are looking at providing it to my wife's mother, who is currently a Canadian PR, but is giving it up to return to Austria and re-gain that citizenship, since she can't have dual (details later on).

On the government page - and searching in these forums - it states that we need to write a letter promising financial support; yet on the Letter of Invitation page, it states:

Writing a letter of invitation does not mean you are legally responsible for the visitor once he or she gets to Canada. You should still write the letter in good faith. You must tell the truth and plan to keep the promises you make in the letter.​

My question is, while the letter may promise financial support, it seems like it is actually not legally enforceable? We have no issue supporting - I just want to make sure that we go in with our eyes wide open.

Background: My wife and her parents were born in Austria, and came to Canada in 1987. They gave up their Austrian citizenship to become Canadian PR's, since dual citizenship is not permitted, but with my wife's brother (and all of her mother's family and relatives) living in Austria with kids, she wants to return to spend time with them, and has been pushed by Austria to switch her citizenship to live there.

Since we have kids, she wants to obtain the Canadian super visa to come see her kids and grandkids still in Canada, without needing a TRV. We meet all the Canadian requirements for sponsorship financially and otherwise (I was born in Canada), but want to make sure that we're conscious of any financial implication, having kids to support. She has a steady pension as a widow of a Swiss citizen to support herself, as well.
It could take a while before your wife's mother actually applies for a super visa. She has to renounce her Canadian PR first.

To answer your question:
Super visas are granted on the premise that the Canadian host child/grandchild will financially support the parent/grandparent for the entire length of his/her stay. This includes providing accommodation, paying for travel/living expenses, and medical insurance to cover the stay. Hence, the letter promising the financial support.

In other words, if the host is unable to provide financial support in every way then a super visa will not be issued.

The host must prove that s/he meets the minimum income threshold to be able to host the super visa parent/grandparent i.e. LICO requirements for super visas. Your wife's mother's finances are secondary for her application