+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa date of arrival stamp confusion.

neochanges1

Aug 27, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
So I tried to call CIC and was told that my mother in law can stay for 2 years. Told her the full story that this is my MiL's 2nd entry and that when we renewed it, she was given till August of 2019.

Here's my dilemma:

My MiL went back to her home country from November 2018 then came back in Canada on January 28, 2019. Her passport was stamped with only her "Date of entry".

Her initial entry was in January 2018 and we had to renew in July 2018. She was given /issued a visitor's record with an extension till August of 2019.

My question here is, do we really follow the CIC Agent's advice that she can stay up to 2 years?

I would like to get someone's opinion on this one. Would we follow her visitor record that was given to her when we renewed it back in July 2018 (extension till August 2019) or do we follow what the agent said as this is already her 2nd entry in Canada.

Thank you in advance

The words "remain in Canada for an authorized period of up to two years on each entry" just kind of throws me off and not sure what to follow.

The agent emailed this to us:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Super visa - Length of stay - Less than 2 years

The parent and grandparent super visa can allow eligible parents and grandparents to remain in Canada for an authorized period of up to two years on each entry.

However, if there is:

• A stamp in your passport and a handwritten date, or
  • A Visitor Record was issued to you:
    • it is important you leave the country on or before the date indicated on it.

• A stamp in your passport, but no handwritten date,
  • No stamp in your passport, or
  • You did not require a passport to enter Canada:
    • it is important you leave the country two years from the date of your entry.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
So I tried to call CIC and was told that my mother in law can stay for 2 years. Told her the full story that this is my MiL's 2nd entry and that when we renewed it, she was given till August of 2019.

Here's my dilemma:

My MiL went back to her home country from November 2018 then came back in Canada on January 28, 2019. Her passport was stamped with only her "Date of entry".

Her initial entry was in January 2018 and we had to renew in July 2018. She was given /issued a visitor's record with an extension till August of 2019.

My question here is, do we really follow the CIC Agent's advice that she can stay up to 2 years?

I would like to get someone's opinion on this one. Would we follow her visitor record that was given to her when we renewed it back in July 2018 (extension till August 2019) or do we follow what the agent said as this is already her 2nd entry in Canada.

Thank you in advance

The words "remain in Canada for an authorized period of up to two years on each entry" just kind of throws me off and not sure what to follow.

The agent emailed this to us:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Super visa - Length of stay - Less than 2 years

The parent and grandparent super visa can allow eligible parents and grandparents to remain in Canada for an authorized period of up to two years on each entry.

However, if there is:

• A stamp in your passport and a handwritten date, or
  • A Visitor Record was issued to you:
    • it is important you leave the country on or before the date indicated on it.

• A stamp in your passport, but no handwritten date,
  • No stamp in your passport, or
  • You did not require a passport to enter Canada:
    • it is important you leave the country two years from the date of your entry.
Her visitor record become invalid when she left the country in November 2018. This means her previous authorized stay until August 2019 lapsed.

She was assessed for a new stay when she returned in January 2019. No handwritten date below the entry stamp means she can now stay for up to another two years until January 2021 (if she does not leave the country)

neochanges1

Aug 27, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Her visitor record become invalid when she left the country in November 2018. This means her previous authorized stay until August 2019 lapsed.

She was assessed for a new stay when she returned in January 2019. No handwritten date below the entry stamp means she can now stay for up to another two years until January 2021 (if she does not leave the country)
You're our hero.. Thanks @Bryanna

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON

Hi Bryanna

My parents came here in Dec 2019 and the passports got stamp with handwritted date of Dec 2021. Now my parenta went back home for 6 weeks and are coming back mid oct.
My question is if now they don’t stamo their passport with a date, that means their 2 years period will start from the date rhey enter?
And the previous stamp of stay upti Dec 2021 will be invalid, right?
How can we be sure of this?