+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

StudyPermit SOP - Want to start GraduateDiploma for qualifications to do Masters

dreambeats

Jun 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I successfully got an offer to do a Graduate Diploma in Computer Science at the University of Concordia. So here's my story actually, I graduated with a BSc Actuarial Science (if you've never heard of this just think about it as an Applied Math degree) in July 2019. And over the last year I've had a growing interest towards Computer Science, so I have decided to make my way towards a Masters in Computer Science. However, my previous degree did not cover any of the CS fundamentals required to qualify me for a Masters in CS, which is why I decided to do the GraduateDiploma mentioned above, which is supposed to give me the fundamentals required to pursue a Master's degree in this field (mentioned in the website linked above). Such a Graduate Diploma does not quite exist in my country, why is why I intend to do it in Canada. In my statement of purpose in my study permit application, should I mention that my intention to do this Graduate Diploma is to qualify myself for a Master's program? And if so should I mention that I intend to apply to a Master's program in Canada after I have finished the Graduate Diploma and have returned to my home country? For extra context, I have been working as a Software Engineer since I have graduated, and studying CS is a decision that is that surprising considering my current employment and interests.

I would really love to get some advice and evaluation from the kind people in this forum about my current circumstances.

Best regards,
Someone who has never applied for a study visa before