+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study, Work and Apply for Refugee

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
Hello

I've recently graduated with a master degree from Canada. Now I may apply for pgwp or continue my phd studies as I have an acceptance already.
My question is: let's say I started my phd studies and applied for refugee, will I be able to continue my studies while waiting for refugee claim processing?

What about the pgwp, if I choose to aplly for it first and then apply for refugee, will I be able to work while waiting for refugee claim processing?

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have Master degree and PHD acceptance. Why you want to apply for refugee? What's your CRS point? I think you have very good chance to be permanent resident through the Express Entry system and the whole process will takes a year or less to become PR.

If apply for PGWP, you'll get 3 years to gain Canadian experience.

Remember, you will be waiting 12-44 months if you apply for refugee and not guaranteed.

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
omar_ahmed21 said:
You have Master degree and PHD acceptance. Why you want to apply for refugee? What's your CRS point? I think you have very good chance to be permanent resident through the Express Entry system and the whole process will takes a year or less to become PR.

If apply for PGWP, you'll get 3 years to gain Canadian experience.

Remember, you will be waiting 12-44 months if you apply for refugee and not guaranteed.
Thank you for the input.

I may choose to apply as a refugee due to personal circumstances. I do not know about CRS points.

As for the waiting time, it is two months from applying till the date of hearing as I am already inside canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I absolutely agree with the above poster. Applying for refugee status is risky - especially given what you will have to prove to be successful.

Spend time researching the Express Entry immigration program and also the Provincial Nomination programs. If you have enough points, you could have PR in as little as 6 months. This would be a much better option than applying as a refugee.

Raviballah

Jan 25, 2017
If you do not find a job then you have to come back after 3 years. I am fearing of same thing please share ur situation.