+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit with name/gender marker changed passport

May 2, 2022
Hello, I'm from the US and got my name changed at an inopportune time just before I had left for Canada, meaning that I had the court order but no updated documents (it has a clause designating that I be allowed a reasonable amount of time to settle before updating documents due to the timing, so I'm not past any deadlines re: that). I am now in the process of updating my documents, I have my US driver license, and I am intending to update my passport next.

Additionally, The US recently (late April 2022) finished updating the standard forms to get a passport with an X gender marker, making now an especially good time for me to update my passport with my name change in addition to the marker. I know we get our old passports back in addition to the new one, but I don't think it is valid for anything other than proof of US Citizenship.

To summarize, I intend to change the following information on my passport: first/middle name, surname, gender marker. Additionally, this entails receiving a new passport number.

Do I need to reapply for a study permit to match it, given the change? Do I just need the connecting identity documents?