+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit success rate

Mumbai564

Sep 1, 2020
Does students with admit from top Universities of Canada have higher succes rate of study permits than with colleges?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes, people still get rejections. The university alone does not guarantee a permit approval, though it does help - as it's not just a visa mill.

Reactions: Mumbai564

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes, I have definitely noticed this trend. Also PhD, Master's have Bachelor's has higher chances as well in that order
Only if it makes sense in your academic career, etc. In other words - your profile still needs to be strong. Someone who failed a lot of courses in a Master's Degree in India looking to take a certificate (non-degree) course at a Canadian public university will not have a higher chance of visa success.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Only if it makes sense in your academic career, etc. In other words - your profile still needs to be strong. Someone who failed a lot of courses in a Master's Degree in India looking to take a certificate (non-degree) course at a Canadian public university will not have a higher chance of visa success.
Correct but good universities already do the screening for this if they accept you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Correct but good universities already do the screening for this if they accept you.
Highly incorrect. They don't do screening to see if the credential you're applying for makes sense - for example, I have a Ph.D. If I went and applied for a BA degree, the university would have no issue with that. BUT if I were applying for a visa in that context, the visa officer would not think that getting a BA would be an appropriate advancement of my academic career needing a visa.

The university will make sure you meet an academic minimum standard, but as you'll be an international student, they will happily take your money for any course you may want to take. IRCC won't necessarily agree with the university's decision.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I hadn't thought about it that way. My line of thinking was that one would always be trying to advance their credentials/knowledge so a BA/BS would go for MS/MA and so on and so forth and obviously a good university wouldn't allow you into their MS program without a relevant BS/BA. But you are right, one can decide to take a 2nd BA/BS even after a PhD.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I hadn't thought about it that way. My line of thinking was that one would always be trying to advance their credentials/knowledge so a BA/BS would go for MS/MA and so on and so forth and obviously a good university wouldn't allow you into their MS program without a relevant BS/BA. But you are right, one can decide to take a 2nd BA/BS even after a PhD.
Many, many, many international students are rejected for study permits because they have BAs or MScs and then apply for undergraduate certificates or even college-level programs (Associate degree at the most but most frequently certificate programs). They're generally rejected because it's crystal clear they're just going for the program to get a foot into Canada and a pathway to a PGWP and then PR.