+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit renewal after PGWP

LilJa

Mar 2, 2021
Good morning. After my friend graduated from his undergrad program, he got accepted into a masters program. He applied for a PGWP and a renewal of his study permit. I’m not sure what his timeline was, but he got both permits.

However, he decided to drop out of his masters program and work instead. After about a year (he just needs a couple more hours before reaching 1 year of work experience for PR), he decided to go back to school. His study permit was still valid but is expiring soon. He reapplied for an extension but was wondering how the gap in his studies will affect his application given that one of the conditions of a study permit is that the holder must be actively pursuing their studies.

Thank you for your time.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I don't know about this, but really, why waste PGWP? Your friend could have been a little patience and gone back to school as a permanent resident. He already got PGWP; whether there is a gap or not, there is no second PGWP if this one gets fucked up. (hopefully not).

LilJa

Mar 2, 2021
I don't know about this, but really, why waste PGWP? Your friend could have been a little patience and gone back to school as a permanent resident. He already got PGWP; whether there is a gap or not, there is no second PGWP if this one gets fucked up. (hopefully not).
I understand your point, but he didn’t really waste it. He’s almost got the 1 year experience (I think he told me something like 60 hrs left) and he’s working as a TA right now, which is gonna count. He’s more worried about the renewal of his study permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Even though he has an expiry date on his study permit, it most likely was cancelled after he dropped out of school. The school has to inform IRCC if students drop out. He should have applied for a new study permit.