+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - Overstayed in another country

COSMICPIRATE

Star Member
Oct 21, 2014
Hello,

I will soon apply for study permit. Transfer student to a Public university. I overstayed my student visa in another country. Its not any European country. Its an Asian country. Not mentioning name for the sake of discretion. I paid the fine within deadline date and left the country atleast a week before. I was not deported. During that time I lost my passport and used a travel pass to get back to my country. I have a police report from that country on my lost passport. After coming back I applied for a new passport ( which have my old passport info) and using that passport i applied for certificate of clearance/good conduct from ministry of foreign affairs.

Now my questions are:

1) Should I mention that during my study permit application form ( Q no. 2 (b) on background information) ? what might be the consequences of disclosure? Is there any special way of applying for this kind of case?

2) Or should I apply just without disclosing and with certificate( foreign affairs) and lost passport police report?

PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
COSMICPIRATE said:
Hello,

I will soon apply for study permit. Transfer student to a Public university. I overstayed my student visa in another country. Its not any European country. Its an Asian country. Not mentioning name for the sake of discretion. I paid the fine within deadline date and left the country atleast a week before. I was not deported. During that time I lost my passport and used a travel pass to get back to my country. I have a police report from that country on my lost passport. After coming back I applied for a new passport ( which have my old passport info) and using that passport i applied for certificate of clearance/good conduct from ministry of foreign affairs.

Now my questions are:

1) Should I mention that during my study permit application form ( Q no. 2 (b) on background information) ? what might be the consequences of disclosure? Is there any special way of applying for this kind of case?

2) Or should I apply just without disclosing and with certificate( foreign affairs) and lost passport police report?

PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
You must make a full disclosure. Failing to do so may cause you to be accused of misrepresentation and banned from Canada for 2 years. Assume that CIC can find out for themselves...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You must mention it.

COSMICPIRATE

Star Member
Oct 21, 2014
Then what can you do if you are banned for representation? How do you appeal at that time? And any advice on how should I apply as I have overstayed, as in is there any special way of applying?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
COSMICPIRATE said:
Then what can you do if you are banned for representation? How do you appeal at that time? And any advice on how should I apply as I have overstayed, as in is there any special way of applying?
You will not be accused of misrepresenting if you tell them the whole truth and don't try to hide anything.

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
No need to hide facts , they will find out.

It will put you in more trouble.

COSMICPIRATE

Star Member
Oct 21, 2014
Thank you for all the replies. I am not planing to hide anything. But here is my original concern- Am I overdoing it? Let me explain:

On the Study permit application on pg-3 under Background information :
"Question-2(b) Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave canada or any other country?"

Now my question is to answer that question do I mention my overstay. Because they asked for fine I paid it and they give a date upto which I could stay in that country, now technically does it imply that I was "ordered to leave"?
If it does do I mention overstay in the form?
And also , mentioning overstay at some other country else than canada diminishes my chance sor canadian study permit?

Experts plz help

Dafe

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
COSMICPIRATE said:
Thank you for all the replies. I am not planing to hide anything. But here is my original concern- Am I overdoing it? Let me explain:

On the Study permit application on pg-3 under Background information :
"Question-2(b) Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave canada or any other country?"

Now my question is to answer that question do I mention my overstay. Because they asked for fine I paid it and they give a date upto which I could stay in that country, now technically does it imply that I was "ordered to leave"?
If it does do I mention overstay in the form?
And also , mentioning overstay at some other country else than canada diminishes my chance sor canadian study permit?

Experts plz help
U must b a Nigerian and obviously stayed in Malaysia...am I right or wrong?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
COSMICPIRATE said:
Anyone anything?
If you paid a fine that's the equivalent of being ordered to leave (you were punished for failing to abide by the terms of your visa). You need to declare the overstay. If you fail to declare the overstay and CIC figures it out, your application will be refused and you'll be banned from Canada for 2 years. Once this happens it will be next to impossible to ever qualify for any type of temporary visa to Canada. There will be nothing to appeal since the misrepresentation finding will have been accurately assessed.

Again, you need to declare the overstay.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
COSMICPIRATE said:
Yes - of course it diminishes your chances. If you abused your visa privileges in another country CIC will have concerns you'll do the same in Canada. You should explain your overstay and try to justify why it happened.

COSMICPIRATE

Star Member
Oct 21, 2014
Thank you SCYLLA and everyone else, except for the one with subtle racist undertone :) !!!

Now, I overstayed because i was too careless and lazy to go for the visa renewal at the first instance and later really got scared , really really really scared. people fed me stories about how horrible the immigration enforcement were and stupidly I became more numb. Really irresponsible of me. Now how do you justify that? Any idea any suggestion.

Plz do reply, and thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would be honest and explain it that way. Explain you were young and not familiar with the laws - and got scared because of what people told you - and made the wrong decision.

goman

Dec 31, 2015
Hello COSMICPIRATE

Can I ask you what happened to you with the Canadian student permit, did you get it ?