+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit options.

rmehta982

Feb 23, 2014
Hi guys,
I am in a dilemma of sorts and just looking for the correct path or suggestions.Kinda confused with what step should be taken next?
I am an Indian citizen in Canada since 4 months on a visitor visa.I intend on pursuing a 2 year full-time undergrad (diploma) course in Seneca here starting in May.
I received my approval letter after giving the local English assessment test.I have paid my first year fee in full as well.I have my blood sister who is a Canadian citizen and lives here with her family.
Now the trouble is I need to apply for my study permit and I have to exit the country. I have 2 options which are:
1)Go Back to India and apply which has a 3 week processing time? (But kind of jittery with applying in India as i notice and read too many unlikely or just more refusals.)
2)OR go to LA (I have a valid USA Visitors) where there is no time frame stated,no kind of response b emails, a minimum of 2 months as processing time...Basically a ridiculous response and processing system.
WHAT SHOULD I DO??
I will be studying after a gap of 9 years and was working in the meantime.Just worried it might work against me with what I have been reading.
Thanx Guyss.

rmehta982

Feb 23, 2014
Regina said:
Not sure you can apply in USA because you are not a green card holder nor you on H1 there.
Hi Regina: I have spoken to CIC regarding this and as long as I have a valid visitors I can apply from USA..That isn not an issue.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
rmehta982 said:
Hi Regina: I have spoken to CIC regarding this and as long as I have a valid visitors I can apply from USA..That isn not an issue.
IMO, it would be better to apply from India. In order to get a SP you have to prove strong ties to your country of residence. It would not look good to the VO to see that you actually went to a third non-related country to apply for the study permit.