+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Currently I’m outside of Canada. However I need to extend my study permit before it expires. All visa offices around me are closed so i can’t send my documents to the nearest embassy, also waiting for biometrics will take ages. Do you think I can apply through the process of inside of Canada(it’s like you apply online and get your study permit mailed to you)? I will be travelling to Canada a week before my current study permit expires so it will be still valid. I’ll be able to get my new study permit at my mail box. It just I’m not sure if anyone has done that, like applying online through the process within Canada while being outside?
seems like my only option

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The in-Canada, outland distinction depends on whether you have the type of status in Canada (i.e., if any). You are attempting to extend your study permit so you should use the inland form IMM 5709. I don't believe there is anywhere around the world where you would send your application directly to an overseas visa office, in any case. All applications that are not online are submitted through VFS or a VAC.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
The in-Canada, outland distinction depends on whether you have the type of status in Canada (i.e., if any). You are attempting to extend your study permit so you should use the inland form IMM 5709. I don't believe there is anywhere around the world where you would send your application directly to an overseas visa office, in any case. All applications that are not online are submitted through VFS or a VAC.
Yes, but VFS is closed in my country( my only option seems to apply through inside of Canada process which is online but I don’t know if it’s okay to apply for it while being outside of Canada.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
It is a question of status, not location. You have status in Canada. You are seeking to extend that status, not make an application for new status. The online in-Canada application is the route that is appropriate for you.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
It is a question of status, not location. You have status in Canada. You are seeking to extend that status, not make an application for new status. The online in-Canada application is the route that is appropriate for you.
Thank you! I was thinking the same way, definitely makes sense. However, my universities international lawyer advisor said it is Kinda illegal to do so since they want people to apply through this process only if they are within Canada, that’s why I asked here as well

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
My analysis is that you are in status, out of the country temporarily on a regularly scheduled (summer) break and you will be returning to Canada to resume your studies, COVID permitting. You could wait until you return to Canada and resume your studies on implied status while your renewal application is processed - if you submit your application before your current permit expires, of course.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
My analysis is that you are in status, out of the country temporarily on a regularly scheduled (summer) break and you will be returning to Canada to resume your studies, COVID permitting. You could wait until you return to Canada and resume your studies on implied status while your renewal application is processed - if you submit your application before your current permit expires, of course.
I’m planning on travelling back to Canada 5-6 days before my study permit expires so I was told by someone I’ll be rejected the entry since it’s expiring soon after my arrival. But yeah I was thinking to apply worst case after I get in since I’ll be still in valid status
I really really appreciate your insights because it’s so hard to find any valuable information

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
It's conceivable. You explain to the officer at the Port of Entry that due to travel restrictions (assuming you'll be able to travel to Canada when the time comes, of course) you were unable to return earlier and that you plan to immediately apply to extend your application.