+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension on last day of Current study permit Expiry: Status Restoration required?

samrakaran

Jan 9, 2014
Study Permit Extension on day of Current study permit Expiry:

Hi Folks, Due to some reasons Got to last day to apply for study permit extension. Study permit was expiring on Sep 30,2023. Application to extension was submitted on Sep 30 2023 9:30 PM ( Toronto Time). Did not apply for restoration as application was submitted before status expire.

But when submitted applicaton and got submission confirmation letter, the letter date is sep 30,2023 but its stating application was recieved by IRCC on Oct 1 2023.( same thing in mycic profile its showing rec'd date as oct 1 2023)

Now my concern will my status considered expired?? DO I need to withdraw this application and apply again with status restoration??

Please suggest:

@scylla
@BA101
@Naturgrl
@Bryanna

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Hi Folks, Due to some reasons Got to last day to apply for study permit extension. Study permit was expiring on Sep 30,2023. Application to extension was submitted on Sep 30 2023 9:30 PM ( Toronto Time). Did not apply for restoration as application was submitted before status expire.

But when submitted applicaton and got submission confirmation letter, the letter date is sep 30,2023 but its stating application was recieved by IRCC on Oct 1 2023.( same thing in mycic profile its showing rec'd date as oct 1 2023)

Now my concern will my status considered expired?? DO I need to withdraw this application and apply again with status restoration??

Please suggest:

@scylla
@BA101
@Naturgrl
@Bryanna
IRCC doesn’t use EST (Toronto time) but UTC for accepting applications.

The date and time of receipt are important for determining if status is maintained under subsection R183(5). For electronic applications, the department uses Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) around the world to ensure that time is equal for all. Therefore, receipt dates and times do not depend on time zones; all applications must be submitted before midnight UTC on the date the applicant’s status expires. If the application was received after midnight UTC on the date of expiry, the applicant does not maintain their status under subsection R183(5).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html#

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
IRCC doesn’t use EST (Toronto time) but UTC for accepting applications.

The date and time of receipt are important for determining if status is maintained under subsection R183(5). For e

Please suggest:

@scylla
@BA101
@Naturgrl
@Bryanna
lectronic applications, the department uses Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) around the world to ensure that time is equal for all. Therefore, receipt dates and times do not depend on time zones; all applications must be submitted before midnight UTC on the date the applicant’s status expires. If the application was received after midnight UTC on the date of expiry, the applicant does not maintain their status under subsection R183(5).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html#

Which means you didn't make the deadline for submission.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh

So what should be next steps? Withdraw this application and submit again with status restoration?

Or should I wait some time to hear for decision?

Any recommendations?
You do have to restore your status because you are now out of status. As to whether you should withdraw the SP extension app I am not sure, hopefully @Naturgrl can answer that part.

You shouldn't wait for an answer for your SP app to apply for restoration. It will be refused because you were out of status when you applied.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Agree with @Canada2020eh to restore status. Don’t know if you should withdraw your SP extension. Assume you stopped studying and working as you are out of status.

May I ask why you waited until the last minute?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh

So what should be next steps? Withdraw this application and submit again with status restoration?

Or should I wait some time to hear for decision?

Any recommendations?
After thinking further about it, I have no facts or reference to back it up but IMO you should withdraw the SP ext app. You don't want the SP ext to be processed and refused before you have status restored. For whatever the reason might be, a refusal is still a refusal which could be a negative thing in the future. Right now SP ext says 90 days, there is no time frame that I see for restoration apart from it saying it can take several months.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Please suggest:

@scylla
@BA101
@Naturgrl
@Bryanna
Why did you procrastinate, bro

samrakaran

Jan 9, 2014
Agree with @Canada2020eh to restore status. Don’t know if you should withdraw your SP extension. Assume you stopped studying and working as you are out of status.

May I ask why you waited until the last minute?
@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh thanks for your comments

@Naturgrl Due to some personal reasons I got to the end. Was not aware of time zones otherwise could have submitted few hours early as I just missed it by less than two hours.

@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh

Can I submit a webform and

1.Write a letter of explanation
2. Pay extra 200 fees on "pay my fees online CIC" and attach a proof of payment
3. resend form IMM 5709 and tick mark on 3* "restore my Status" along with "apply for study permit" (anything else or another form required?)

Is there anything additional required normally for restoration of status?

Any suggestion?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh thanks for your comments

@Naturgrl Due to some personal reasons I got to the end. Was not aware of time zones otherwise could have submitted few hours early as I just missed it by less than two hours.

@Naturgrl @Canada2020eh

Can I submit a webform and

1.Write a letter of explanation
2. Pay extra 200 fees on "pay my fees online CIC" and attach a proof of payment
3. resend form IMM 5709 and tick mark on 3* "restore my Status" along with "apply for study permit" (anything else or another form required?)

Is there anything additional required normally for restoration of status?

Any suggestion?
You can do that but assume you stopped your studies and working too. A LOE really doesn’t matter, but if you are going to include it then state you are no longer studying or working. As for personal reasons, you have months to do it not hours.

Wahh

Aug 1, 2024
Hi @samrakaran
May I ask how that turned out for you? I’m in exactly the same situation.

I’m desperate. This summer, I had to travel back to my country for two months. I decided not to extend my visa there and do it from here. So, I arrived in Canada the day before its expiration date. Unfortunately, I didn’t pay attention to the timezone, considered the Canada time, and ended up submitting the application two hours after the UTC midnight.

Thank you,