+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension delay

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Hi All,
Good day

I am a graduate student at a Canadian University and I am about to finish my Master of Science degree. My Study permit has been expired on August, 2016 where my expected degree completion date was Dec 2016. I applied for my study permit extension on first week of August, 2016 but haven't got any decision yet. Thus I am on implied status now. I called CIC/ IRCC call centre twice and also made a case specific inquiry asking them about the update of my application. All I got informed from them is that my file is in progress. I asked them about the timeframe to get a decision but the call centre agent couldn't give me any definitive timeframe. I have been waiting since last 4 months for my study permit extension approval, although the CIC official website is showing the normal processing time for study permit extension is 28 days.

1. Is there any way to learn the actual reason for this delay?
2. I have seen at the CIC website that I must have a valid study permit when I apply for the PGWP. Can I apply for PGWP on implied status (while still waiting to get study permit extension approval)?

I look forward to getting your valuable comments.

Sincerely,
MSU

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hey I had the same problem when I was extending my study permit it took 5 months! Just try calling them again and tell them it highly exceeded the processing time and ask the CIC call center agent to take action.

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Hi Ezio,
Thank you for your reply. Last time when I contacted with them, I was told to be patience !!! Did the calling work for you or the case specific inquiry?

Also do you have any idea whether I can apply for my PGWP or not while I am on implied status?

Thank you.
MSU

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
MSU said:
Hi Ezio,
Thank you for your reply. Last time when I contacted with them, I was told to be patience !!! Did the calling work for you or the case specific inquiry?

Also do you have any idea whether I can apply for my PGWP or not while I am on implied status?

Thank you.
MSU
It was the calling that worked for me but in the second time when I asked them to take action. I was told to wait the first time I called them. Regarding the PGWP I don't know about this specific situation but you have to apply within 90 days of your graduation. Best of luck.

MSU

Dec 2, 2016
Thank you very much for your reply. I will knock them again for an update.

Regards,
MSU