+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension deadline

Wahh

Aug 1, 2024
Hello, good evening,

I’ve been researching a lot and getting informed; however, my anxiety is killing me. That’s why I’m here, and any information, advice, or suggestion is very welcome.

I am currently going into my last year of my Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science here in Canada, in BC.

My situation is as follows: I started my studies in September 2020, online due to COVID-19. In August, I arrived in Canada, initially in Vancouver, and I was given a visa valid until January 31, 2022. I extended it, and they gave me a visa valid until July 31, 2023, for which I applied for an extension again, along with a COOP Work Permit, which was approved with validity until July 31, 2024.

This summer of 2024, I had to return to my home country to visit my family due to health issues and a death in the family. I bought the ticket last minute and boarded on May 6, with a return date of August 30. Aware of the visa expiration, I was waiting for the start of registration and university accommodation approval so I could have the necessary documents, such as enrollment confirmation and residence payment, to support my application. I obtained these documents at the end of June. So, 40 days before the expiration, I started my process. However, as I started reading and considering everything, I was reluctant to apply from outside Canada and risk facing future problems, such as not being able to study due to visa processing delays.

After more research and conversations with the university, I was informed of the options I would have. They said that, yes, if I returned before the expiration date, I could maintain my status and wait for the response without losing my eligibility to study this Fall. So, I changed my flight date to July 29 and arrived in Toronto on July 30. I reviewed and submitted the application on July 31, but I didn’t account for the time zone used by IRCC. Unfortunately, I was considering Canada’s time zone, in this case, Toronto, and as a result, I sent the application two hours after midnight UTC. The application was received by IRCC on August 1.

I logged into the portal three days later and saw that the application was marked as submitted on August 1. I didn’t understand and started researching until I realized the reason. I was very scared and panicked. I researched a lot and decided to call IRCC. The agents were very attentive to me. I asked what I should do. Two of them told me I should apply for status restoration. However, they didn’t tell me what to do with my study permit extension application (whether I should cancel it, leave it as is, or open a new process), except one of them mentioned that one option might be to pay the restoration fee and submit the receipt along with a letter explaining why this happened, saying it would be up to the officer to accept it or not.

My classes start in two weeks, and I’m very apprehensive. From my understanding, I can’t attend classes until I receive a response from IRCC, nor can I work. I’m at a crucial moment in my program; I’ve paid for accommodation until August 2025 and I’m enrolled with tuition paid for this semester (Fall) and the next (Winter), which was a significant investment.

Finally, I’m waiting—very apprehensive. I attached the receipt for the restoration payment, in case it’s necessary, to the study permit extension application, along with an explanatory letter, as mentioned.

I would like to ask for advice from more experienced individuals: did I do the right thing? And what are the next steps?

Note: my web form was submitted on August 5, and the application was updated on August 8 (UCI, biometrics). However, I don’t know what this means. Will my application be considered? Should I apply for restoration in parallel? Should I cancel my extension application and submit a new one for restoration?

Note 2: I accessed my application, Monday morning, and it was saying: application/profile updated. However, when I clicked on the application, did not see any update. Then I returned to the main page, and the application status was again, submitted. I did not receive any email. It was just on the GCKEY portal. Does it mean anything?

my application says Review of Eligibility not started yet. Background check being processed, no need of any additional info, medical exams not required.