+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Delay

MFVD

Jul 10, 2024
Hi! I applied for my two kids Study Permit (elementary school) on March 5th so they can study one year (August 2024 - July 2025) at BC. On April 22nd the IRCC wrote asking for additional documentation which we submited. Since then haven't heard anything yet. On my account it says it is still in progress but it has been longer than it originally said and we are flying on August 21st since school starts on September 3rd. What we should do? School said we can arrive with the school letter and, if so, attend only for a six month period (where we do not need Study Permit) and continue the proccess while being there. I'm kind of lost of what to do next,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! I applied for my two kids Study Permit (elementary school) on March 5th so they can study one year (August 2024 - July 2025) at BC. On April 22nd the IRCC wrote asking for additional documentation which we submited. Since then haven't heard anything yet. On my account it says it is still in progress but it has been longer than it originally said and we are flying on August 21st since school starts on September 3rd. What we should do? School said we can arrive with the school letter and, if so, attend only for a six month period (where we do not need Study Permit) and continue the proccess while being there. I'm kind of lost of what to do next,
What is your status in Canada? What ADRs were requested?

MFVD

Jul 10, 2024
We are from Mexico and currently live here. The idea is to move to Canada for one year so the kids can study there. We arrive with an ETA and my husband and I will be coming back and forward to Mexico while the kids study there.

The ask us for the Custodian Declaration. Initially we didn't sent it because they will be living with us, but since they ask for it the school told us to present it with them as Custodians and we did on April 26th

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We are from Mexico and currently live here. The idea is to move to Canada for one year so the kids can study there. We arrive with an ETA and my husband and I will be coming back and forward to Mexico while the kids study there.

The ask us for the Custodian Declaration. Initially we didn't sent it because they will be living with us, but since they ask for it the school told us to present it with them as Custodians and we did on April 26th
Your custodian must be in Canada. So you need to find a custodian who is willing to take responsibility of your children. You cannot be the custodian because you cannot live in Canada. You are a visitor and not on a work or study permit.

So you paid tuition and showed living expenses.

MFVD

Jul 10, 2024
With that in mind we sent the Custodian Declaration with a Canadian Custodian assigned by the school, we also paid the tuition and showed living expenses. We fill that following the school instructions.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
With that in mind we sent the Custodian Declaration with a Canadian Custodian assigned by the school, we also paid the tuition and showed living expenses. We fill that following the school instructions.
So all you can do is wait since you have a Canadian custodian to care for you children. This is because you cannot live in Canada. If you are denied entry into Canada because CBSA thinks you are trying to live in Canada while kids are in school, then the kids have someone to care for them. This is someone you trust.