+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit and Visitor Status query. (In canada application)

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
I am a UK citizen currently in Canada on visitor status. (Valid until Oct 4th 2012) I live with my partner, who supports me financially. (not yet eligible for common law)

I have recently submitted a study permit application and have the following questions;

1. Can i leave Canada to go to Seattle for the weekend while my study permit is being processed, or must i remain in Canada?
2. If my study permit is declined, and i able to make an application to extend my visitor status, to allow me to make another study permit application?
3. If the answer to question 2 is no, would it be feasible to go to Seattle and try and obtain another visitor permit at the border?

Thanks in advance!

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
*am i able to make an application to extend my visitor status, to allow me to make another study permit application?

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
funkyskunk said:
I am a UK citizen currently in Canada on visitor status. (Valid until Oct 4th 2012) I live with my partner, who supports me financially. (not yet eligible for common law)

I have recently submitted a study permit application and have the following questions;

1. Can i leave Canada to go to Seattle for the weekend while my study permit is being processed, or must i remain in Canada?
2. If my study permit is declined, and i able to make an application to extend my visitor status, to allow me to make another study permit application?
3. If the answer to question 2 is no, would it be feasible to go to Seattle and try and obtain another visitor permit at the border?

Thanks in advance!
Quote: "Most visitors to Canada are not allowed to work or study in Canada without permission.

You must apply for a work permit or a study permit before coming to Canada. If you are visiting Canada and you want to apply to work or study, you must leave Canada and apply from your home country. "

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks, perhaps they have recently changed the rules. But, i was able to lodge an application online (from within Canada) i also spoke with the international department at the college, and they said lodging an application online from within Canada was fine.

Going back to my original questions, is anyone else able to offer any insight?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

funkyskunk said:
Thanks, perhaps they have recently changed the rules. But, i was able to lodge an application online (from within Canada) i also spoke with the international department at the college, and they said lodging an application online from within Canada was fine.

Going back to my original questions, is anyone else able to offer any insight?

1. They don't know what they are talking about. They may have thought you were already on study permit or work permit.
2. You can expect a refusal.
3. You have to apply for a study permit outside Canada, and demonstrate funds for the 1st year tuition, $10K for living expenses and about $2K for travel expenses. You would have to apply to Los Angeles.

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
Hi,

They know that i am on visitor status, I explained this to them. They are a public college and are used to dealing with international applications. I asked all of these questions before hand, but thank you for letting me know.

Just for reference the website is very misleading, as it clearly states the option to apply for a study permit (in canada)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp - time scales for applications made (inside canada)

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
Also, i have logged into my online application and found the following;

Now i really am confused! Should i cancel my application based on your advice, or chance it- based upon what it says on the website? Help! :)

https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/mycic/helpwhattodotoday.do Date Modified: 2012-07-10

"What would you like to do today?
Below, you will find the types of applications you can complete online. This section of MyCIC provides you with the actions available for you to complete. If you complete an application online, you do not need to submit a paper application as well.

Apply to Stay in Canada to Study, Work, or Visit

This link will direct you to the Online Application. You will have to answer a few questions to provide CIC with the information required to process your temporary resident application from inside Canada.

If you are in Canada, you can apply online for the following:

an initial Study Permit or an extension of your Study Permit;
an Off-Campus Work Permit;
a Post-Graduate Work Permit;
an initial Work Permit or an extension of your Work Permit; and
an extension to stay in Canada as a visitor.

When you apply for one of the above, you can also:

restore your temporary resident status;
restore temporary resident status for your family members in Canada;
obtain an initial Work Permit or extend the Work Permit of your family members in Canada;
obtain an initial Study Permit or extend the Study Permit of your family members in Canada; and
extend the temporary stay of your family members in Canada."

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
You can apply for study permit from inside Canada if

Quote:
"You may be eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada if any of these situations apply to you.
- holders of valid work or study permits and their family members;
- holders of temporary resident permits valid for a minimum of six months and their family members;
- protected persons;
- refugee claimants, persons subject to an unenforceable removal order and their family members;
- in-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are members of the following classes determined eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval):
- spouses or common-law partners in Canada;
- subjects of humanitarian and compassionate considerations; and
- live-in-caregivers;
- persons whose study permits were authorized by a visa office abroad, where the permit was not issued at a port of entry; or
family members of athletes on a Canadian-based team, media representatives, members of the clergy, or military personnel assigned to Canada;
- minor child in Canada authorized to study, who applies within the period beginning 90 days before the expiry of their authorization to engage in studies in Canada and ending 90 days after that expiry;
- family member or a member of the private staff of a foreign representative who is properly accredited, may apply within Canada 90 days before or after they are no longer a dependent child.

Do any of these situations apply to you?
If the answer is YES, then you can apply from within Canada otherwise your application will face refusal.

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
OK, thanks for your help. This has been so stressful and confusing! I read on another thread that as a UK citizen i can apply for a study permit at the Seattle office. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I thought that TRV and TRP were the same, apparently they are not!

I'm going to cancel my online application, attempt to extend my visitor permit instead and then lodge a new study permit application for the January semester.

Does this sound right? I have tried to call CIC call centre, but am not getting through.

Any help is appreciated, i just want to get this sorted.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

funkyskunk said:
OK, thanks for your help. This has been so stressful and confusing! I read on another thread that as a UK citizen i can apply for a study permit at the Seattle office. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I thought that TRV and TRP were the same, apparently they are not!

I'm going to cancel my online application, attempt to extend my visitor permit instead and then lodge a new study permit application for the January semester.

Does this sound right? I have tried to call CIC call centre, but am not getting through.

Any help is appreciated, i just want to get this sorted.
Seattle no longer processes study permits, west of the Mississippi you have to apply to LA.

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
I'll be having the same situation as yours soon. I'm currently in Canada holding a Visitors visa and I'm sending my Student permit application to VAC-LA when I receive my Letter of Acceptance from the school I applied for. I'm aware that we can not convert our Visitors (Tourist) visa within Canada and a friend here in Canada told me to send my application from outside Canada that's why I'm planning to send my application to VAC-LA instead. This is my first time to do this and I dont have a lawyer to assist me. Is this process really working?