+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Engineering In Calgary University

Ambitious15

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm from Algeria : Bachelor in instrumentation engineering (bac+5 years university of Algeria) and 20 months work experience in Oil and Gas + other trainings courses (while studying) my questions are :

1. How much will cost (money) to join the university for two years studying the Master's degree (please include the food, rent, clothes and all the other expenses) ?

2. Am I eligible to find a part time job in oil companies and study in the same time ? I've read about the Co-op/ Internship Student jobs in the official oil companies websites, so is it easy to get a job within these companies ? are there lot of students applying and interested like me ? I just want to know how are things going on there.

3. What's the best engineering univeristy or institute in Calgary which makes conventions with companies ?

4. Is there a short program (technical and related to oil and gas) that takes a year or less of study ? because I have a very limited funds and I wish that makes me able to apply for Permanent Residency after graduating rather than applying to Federal Skilled Worker Program or Quebec which take at least 4 years IF ACCEPTED!

5. Considering that I've joined the university : Am I allowed to work within the first month or I must wait for couple months ?
6. Are there some specific requirements to be Enrolled in a Co-op or Internship program ?

Please my friends and brothers, I hope you answer me soon to take a move in the process or getting the idea out of my mind, so if any one can make ask for me I'll be highly appreciating (please brothers, I want your opinion) GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU

tiger007

Champion Member
Ambitious15 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm from Algeria : Bachelor in instrumentation engineering (bac+5 years university of Algeria) and 20 months work experience in Oil and Gas + other trainings courses (while studying) my questions are :

1. How much will cost (money) to join the university for two years studying the Master's degree (please include the food, rent, clothes and all the other expenses) ?

2. Am I eligible to find a part time job in oil companies and study in the same time ? I've read about the Co-op/ Internship Student jobs in the official oil companies websites, so is it easy to get a job within these companies ? are there lot of students applying and interested like me ? I just want to know how are things going on there.

3. What's the best engineering univeristy or institute in Calgary which makes conventions with companies ?

4. Is there a short program (technical and related to oil and gas) that takes a year or less of study ? because I have a very limited funds and I wish that makes me able to apply for Permanent Residency after graduating rather than applying to Federal Skilled Worker Program or Quebec which take at least 4 years IF ACCEPTED!

5. Considering that I've joined the university : Am I allowed to work within the first month or I must wait for couple months ?
6. Are there some specific requirements to be Enrolled in a Co-op or Internship program ?

Please my friends and brothers, I hope you answer me soon to take a move in the process or getting the idea out of my mind, so if any one can make ask for me I'll be highly appreciating (please brothers, I want your opinion) GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU
Hi,

1. Universities in Canada offer 2 types of Master's in engineering degrees - course based(usually 1 year) and thesis/research based (usually 2 years). Master degree tuition fees can be anywhere between 8000- 25000$/ year or even more. Add to that minimum 10,000$ for yearly living expenses(as required by CIC, to show funding) and take another 2,000-4,000$ for airfare, settlement, other expenses.

2. International students can apply for OCWP- off campus work permit, after studying minimum actual 6 months. This will allow international student to work for max. 20 hours/ week. Nowhere it is easy to get a job.. full time or co-op. getting a job totally depends on you and your capabilities. While studying, if co-op/internship is part of your course, ONLY then, you can apply for co-op visa, which will allow you to work full time for the period of your co-op/internship.

3. In Calgary, for Master degree and higher university studies... Univ. of Calgary is the best university.

4. Given your profile, it's highly reccomended you do a minimum 1 year MEng. (course based) programme at Univ. of Calgary or in any other university across Canada. FSW/Quebec skilled workers are lengthy routes to immigration. As an international student, after studying in Canada, you can apply for PGWP-post grad work permit, and depending upon the student immigration route you choose , you can apply for your PR. There are many student immigration routes in Canada, for international students which offer faster and comparatively easier immigration. To know more about these various student immg. routes, see this older thread. Here official links to all immig. programmes are given. You can visit the official websites and decide for yourself, which may suit you best. -
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.0.html

As an Algerian, if you know French, then Quebec is BEST for you.. as studying a Master degree in Quebec based universities... in French medium OR showing intermediate French proficiency (DELF B1 level), will make you eligible for direct CSQ/Quebec selection certificate and PR. No need to find skilled/unskilled job or work for any duration like in other provincial/federal immigration programmes.

5. & 6. See point 2.

Hope it's clear.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

Ambitious15

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Tiger007,

I thank you so much for your organized answers and you were very helpful so I have listed below more questions for you .

Actually, I'm very interested in oil and gas that's why I'm looking to study in Calgary, because during the time of studying I'll be able to make relations and discover the area classed N1 in producing oil and gas (Alberta), and also I've read about Summer jobs for students in companies so I can gain some Canadian experience which is a significant key to employment right ?

you've said "Given your profile, it's highly recommended you do a minimum 1 year MEng. (course based) programme" , do you mean that I can be accepted to study only one year and get the Master's degree ? Can you explain more about this "Course based" please ?

I've understand that in Quebec after graduation you can apply directly to PR and no need for job offer ? and what about the open work permit : after graduation can I apply for one ? usually you need a job offer right ? So is it an option for international students ?

About Quebec, yes it's very suitable as I studied in French and it's the second language here in Algeria, but I also don't have an idea about this province so what's does Quebec provide in addition to other provinces ? I've read also about lower study fees is it true ? I mean is there a real acountable difference in fees ?

I can hardly make some money here (and this is the point) to go study there but I need to be encouraged and I already believe that Canada is offering the best carreers in the world in all fields and referring to the net, I've noted more the hundred times that the students are the most likely to be nominated (given the PR) is it right ? and another thing is : most of immigrants after arrival they become shocked because their diplomas are not satisfied to be employable after all the waiting years for PR !

Please Mr tiger007, I appreciate your time and your efforts, simply, I've spent long time on searching on the net which way is the quickest and guaranteed to immigrate but nothing encouraging, waiting for your responses

tiger007

Champion Member
Ambitious15 said:
Hi Tiger007,

I thank you so much for your organized answers and you were very helpful so I have listed below more questions for you .

Actually, I'm very interested in oil and gas that's why I'm looking to study in Calgary, because during the time of studying I'll be able to make relations and discover the area classed N1 in producing oil and gas (Alberta), and also I've read about Summer jobs for students in companies so I can gain some Canadian experience which is a significant key to employment right ?

you've said "Given your profile, it's highly recommended you do a minimum 1 year MEng. (course based) programme" , do you mean that I can be accepted to study only one year and get the Master's degree ? Can you explain more about this "Course based" please ?

I've understand that in Quebec after graduation you can apply directly to PR and no need for job offer ? and what about the open work permit : after graduation can I apply for one ? usually you need a job offer right ? So is it an option for international students ?

About Quebec, yes it's very suitable as I studied in French and it's the second language here in Algeria, but I also don't have an idea about this province so what's does Quebec provide in addition to other provinces ? I've read also about lower study fees is it true ? I mean is there a real acountable difference in fees ?

I can hardly make some money here (and this is the point) to go study there but I need to be encouraged and I already believe that Canada is offering the best carreers in the world in all fields and referring to the net, I've noted more the hundred times that the students are the most likely to be nominated (given the PR) is it right ? and another thing is : most of immigrants after arrival they become shocked because their diplomas are not satisfied to be employable after all the waiting years for PR !

Please Mr tiger007, I appreciate your time and your efforts, simply, I've spent long time on searching on the net which way is the quickest and guaranteed to immigrate but nothing encouraging, waiting for your responses

Hi,

It's not at all surprising that oil and gas is 1 of your preferred areas, as there's a big boom in Alberta/Saskatchewan oilfields. These 2 provinces are growing remarkably with loads of jobs and many opportunities in the oil and gas sector. In-fact, Alberta is the the fastest economically growing province (number 1) in whole of North America. Apart from Alberta oil boom, Atlantic Canada is also foraying into offshore oil drilling.

To pursue Master in Engineering in Oil & Gas related field, 3 universities are best:
1. Univ of Calgary, Alberta
2. Memorial Univ., Newfoundland (offers specialized degree in oil & gas engineering).
3. Univ. of Alberta

However, I'm not sure..as an instrumentation engineer, whether you will be accepted into Master degree programmes in oil & gas engineering or not, as all of them ask for a Bachelor degree in similar area of engineering(like chemical engineering). Since, you have work ex. in oil and gas sector, you can definitely.. present your detailed profile and resume to these university departments, and see.. if they consider you eligible to apply for master degree programmes related to oil and gas engineering in these universities or not.

If not oil and gas engineering, you can always apply to Master's in engineering in instrumentation or related fields.

However, to apply to Canadian universities, international students MUST have a minimum academic standard, equivalent to Canadian B grade. Different countries have different marking requirements..which are considered equivalent to Canadian B grade. For applicants from Algeria, this minimum requirement is : A minimum grade of 14 on a 20 point grading scale in the last two years of study/ your bachelor in engineering degree. Some universities MAY accept a min. grade of 12 -12.5, but most top grade universities require 14/20.

I meant, given your profile..you should definitely try for atleast 1 year course based master in engineering degree. If you are talented and research oriented..you may consider applying to 2 years research based Master degree in engineering, which has a research component..and at the end of the degree you will have to write a minor thesis and defend it. If you think, that's too much..then you can always opt for simpler course based(or no research involved..simple study and pass subjects/courses) master degree.

In Quebec, after studying a Master degree from Quebec based universities in French medium OR showing intermediate French level proficiency(DELF B1) if studying from English medium universities (Concordia or McGill), one can directly apply for CSQ/Quebec selection certificate, get it in 20 days and apply for PR. In other provinces, one needs to find skilled/unskilled job offer...and work for 0-12 months...and then apply for PR or provincial nomination and then PR. It's a longer route..Quebec is best and easiest... if you know French. In the mean time..you can also apply for PGWP-post grad work permit/open work permit and start working. French is given predominant status, only in Quebec..even though its a national language of Canada. Lower tuition fees are only for Canadian residents/citizens. International student usually pay higher tuition fees.

You get PR.. only if you study a recognized course and fulfill all requirements for a specific student immigration programme. Just being a student in Canada, does not guarantee PR. Canada and Canadian employers want Canadian work ex and or atleast some Canadian qualification..then you gradually do co-op/internship, volunteering , networking etc. Gain Canadian work ex... and then try to get a skilled job in your field... in case, you don't get a skilled job right after you pass out Master degree. It depends completely on an individual to bag a skilled job.

So, if you have required grades, to apply for a Master degree programme in Canadian universities.. you should start your research immediately, and apply for Fall 2013 intake.

Best of luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

Ambitious15

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI tiger007,

1- thank you again for your help, but I'am still confused : is there a master engineering program that takes only one year to be completed or no ? and about education in canada ; is it hard to success or medium ? because I 've taken all my studies in french and I'm willing to study in english in Alberta so I think I will face some difficulties right ?

2- In case of failer to success in exams : the year I took in studying in canada will it be accountable for me as a canadian experience or no ? (I'm just afraid from wasting the money that I've spent years to get it and till now it's not enough !! I must lend from my friends because we are poor family ok ! :( )
3- I was graduated with 11,90 / 20 is it good means acceptable in one of canada's engineering univ ?

Please tiger, read the question 1 carefully so you can provide me with a full answer okey ? I'm waiting for your responses.

tiger007

Champion Member
Ambitious15 said:
HI tiger007,

1- thank you again for your help, but I'am still confused : is there a master engineering program that takes only one year to be completed or no ? and about education in canada ; is it hard to success or medium ? because I 've taken all my studies in french and I'm willing to study in english in Alberta so I think I will face some difficulties right ?

2- In case of failer to success in exams : the year I took in studying in canada will it be accountable for me as a canadian experience or no ? (I'm just afraid from wasting the money that I've spent years to get it and till now it's not enough !! I must lend from my friends because we are poor family ok ! :( )
3- I was graduated with 11,90 / 20 is it good means acceptable in one of canada's engineering univ ?

Please tiger, read the question 1 carefully so you can provide me with a full answer okey ? I'm waiting for your responses.

Hi,

1. Meng. programmes are course based master degree in engineering programmes, usually of 1 year duration. You need to check the university department websites...to which you are planning to apply. If you have done your previous studies in French., then you should consider Quebec..a they offer direct CSQ and then PR... no worries of finding job.. after Master degrees from Quebec in French medium or passing intermediate French exam such as DELF B1. Besides.. if you feel difficulty in English.. You can pursue your Master degree in French medium in world class universities and others.
Performance in specific course and or medium..completely depends on your ability to grasp and study and do well in exam.

2. You need to pass the exam..and get a skilled job in your area of study (or not depending upon province...)..only when you actually do a job in Canada...only that will be counted as Canadian work ex. While studying, you can try for co-op positions...do volunteering...and try to gather some Canadian work ex.

3. As I said... For applicants from Algeria, this minimum requirement is : A minimum grade of 14 on a 20 point grading scale in the last two years of study/ your bachelor in engineering degree. Some universities MAY accept a min. grade of 12 -12.5, but most top grade universities require 14/20. You 11.90/20 is just NEAR 12/20 scale..which some university MAY consider. You need to shoot email to many universities... and present your profile..if they give a positive response.. you should apply to as many universities as possible..and see... if you get admission or not.

Best of Luck.

**All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

measenouci

Nov 5, 2014
Salam Alikom Brother,

I am an Algerian myself and living in Calgary and currently starting a master degree in engineering at the University of Calgary. I hope I can answer you most of your questions.
I will inbox you shortly with my Skype ID. feel free to add me if you want my opinion.

Salam

MEA

Ambitious15 said:
Hi everyone,