+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study ends but Work Permit is still available. Can I continue working?

danducca

Jun 11, 2024
Hi all!

I currently have a study permit/work permit, which expires in February 2025.

I have been working as a Co-op student but my co-op will end on September 9th.

My boss has applied for the LMIA process with me, but it is not being processed yet. If my LMIA be approved I will be able to receive a job offer and update my visa to a closed work visa.

Because of the rules, I do not know if I will be able to keep working until February or at least know the result for the LMIA and finally apply for my new visa. Please notice that despite my co-op ending I still have the government visa paper with an expiration date of February and my SIN number.

Does someone know if I can follow the expiration date in the government document or sooner as I get my Letter of Completion my work visa will be cancelled?

Any help on that would be appreciated.
Hope you all have a great weekend.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all!

I currently have a study permit/work permit, which expires in February 2025.

I have been working as a Co-op student but my co-op will end on September 9th.

My boss has applied for the LMIA process with me, but it is not being processed yet. If my LMIA be approved I will be able to receive a job offer and update my visa to a closed work visa.

Because of the rules, I do not know if I will be able to keep working until February or at least know the result for the LMIA and finally apply for my new visa. Please notice that despite my co-op ending I still have the government visa paper with an expiration date of February and my SIN number.

Does someone know if I can follow the expiration date in the government document or sooner as I get my Letter of Completion my work visa will be cancelled?

Any help on that would be appreciated.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
When do your studies finish? Are you not eligible for PGWP?

danducca

Jun 11, 2024
I received 2 papers when I arrived in Canada, one for my study permit and the other for my work permit, both expiration dates are February 2025.

I studied in a private school 1year + 10 months with co-op, and this course is not eligible for the PGWP

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I received 2 papers when I arrived in Canada, one for my study permit and the other for my work permit, both expiration dates are February 2025.

I studied in a private school 1year + 10 months with co-op, and this course is not eligible for the PGWP
Okay but co-op is necessary to complete the program so when do you finish your program? This has nothing to do with permit expiry.

danducca

Jun 11, 2024
Sorry, I have the feeling that I was not so clear in my first post. See below:

Co-op ends: Sep 9th, 2024
Estimate LMIA result: by Sep 13th, 2024 (but they are having a lot of delays)
Work and Student visa expiration: Feb 2025

I am asking that because theoretically, I can only work in the meantime and I am also a student, but after getting my diploma and having a Work visa available I am not sure if I can keep working or if it will be considered illegal.

My goal is to "gain" time enough to get the LMIA answer and apply for my new visa. Does it make sense?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, I have the feeling that I was not so clear in my first post. See below:

Co-op ends: Sep 9th, 2024
Estimate LMIA result: by Sep 13th, 2024 (but they are having a lot of delays)
Work and Student visa expiration: Feb 2025

I am asking that because theoretically, I can only work in the meantime and I am also a student, but after getting my diploma and having a Work visa available I am not sure if I can keep working or if it will be considered illegal.

My goal is to "gain" time enough to get the LMIA answer and apply for my new visa. Does it make sense?
Your co-op work permit is tied to your study permit, and co-op is necessary to complete your program as per IRCC. When did or do you finish your studies? Not when you get diploma but when you completed your program. Since you are still doing your co-op job which is necessary to complete your program, I assume you have not finished studies. Your study permit expiry is not relevant if you have finished your program.

Reactions: YVR123

danducca

Jun 11, 2024
As I said, September 9th is my last report, after that, I will need to wait for the Completion Letter, so the program will be done and I will get the diploma.

In the end, once I finish my program, even with a future date on my study and work permit I will not be allowed to work. Is that what you mean?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As I said, September 9th is my last report, after that, I will need to wait for the Completion Letter, so the program will be done and I will get the diploma.

In the end, once I finish my program, even with a future date on my study and work permit I will not be allowed to work. Is that what you mean?
Going to a private DLI with no PGWP doesn’t give you the right to work after program completion. Ask an immigration lawyer. A LMIA is filed by the employer after paying the $1k. If approved, you can apply for a closed work permit.

Reactions: danducca

danducca

Jun 11, 2024
As I explained in my last posts, I am currently in the middle of an LMIA proccess with my employer, awaiting the government's decision. Thank you for your responses.