+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

student visa to work permit

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
You have two (2) options to get a work permit:

1) Off Campus Work Permit (OCWP): You have to study full-time for six months and then you can apply. Based on your educational standings provided by the school, you will be an OCWP. Then you can work off-campus part-time during studying and full-time during scheduled breaks.

2) Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP): You can only apply for this work permit after the completion of your studies. It's a full-time work permit and teh duration of PGWP depends on the duration of your course you have taken.

All the detailed information is available on CIC website. I suggest you should check it out and get any other answers you need.

Regards,

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know people who have switched from visitor to work permit from within canada but it has involved getting a job offer, an LMO etc.

Not sure if there are any restrictions of doing it from Student to work permit, but if it can be done from visitor to WP, it might be possible. Assuming you are talking about not finishing your studies and just switching to a work permit.

mehar_arain

Feb 11, 2012
yes, am talking about this :p

if a student get job not compalete their study can he get work permit ???replay all experts thanksss :eek:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, you can try applying for a work permit.

You will first need to find an employer who is willing to hire you. That employer will then need to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion. As part of this process, they will have to prove that the job was advertised and that they could not find a Canadian to hire for the role. Assume this step of the process will take several months to complete. There is no guarantee the Labour Market Opinion will be approved. Many/most employers are not willing to go through this process because they have to pay a fee, because it takes a long time to process the paperwork and because there is no guarantee of approval.

If you are able to find an employer who is willing to hire you and that employer is able to obtain an approved LMO, you can then try application for a work permit. As part of this process, you will have to prove that you are coming to Canada as a genuine temporary worker and have no plans to overstay your visa in Canada. Note that not all work permits are approved. And the challenge you might face is that CIC could suspect you are just trying to find ways to say in Canada long term because you first came here on a student visa (and didn't complete your studies) and are now trying to remain in Canada on a work permit.

If you want to go the work permit route, I would recommend that you read through the Foreign Workers section of this forum and make sure you take a look at some of the threads where works permits have been refused.

In the end, yes - switching from a student visa to a work permit is possible. However none of us here can tell you if you will be approved. That will be up to CIC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mehar_arain said:
are you sure they wiil approved work permit??? :'(
No - I'm not sure at all. Please re-read my answer. I said there is no guarantee they will approve the work permit.