+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa application inquiry for someone who has PR application in process

aqeelc

Oct 26, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I am a canadian citizen and I have applied for my wife's sponsorship who is in pakistan. The application went to Islamabad office in Sept 2011.

I was wondering since it will take around 2 years for this process to complete, can I get my wife here on a student visa. She is finishing her med degree in Jan 2012. I can try to find her a program here to get admission in. Please let me know if anyone has done this before and have been successful in it. From what I hear, the visit visa is usually denied by the embassy, what about a student visa application?

Serendipity

Star Member
Sep 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aqeelc said:
Hello Everyone,

I am a canadian citizen and I have applied for my wife's sponsorship who is in pakistan. The application went to Islamabad office in Sept 2011.

I was wondering since it will take around 2 years for this process to complete, can I get my wife here on a student visa. She is finishing her med degree in Jan 2012. I can try to find her a program here to get admission in. Please let me know if anyone has done this before and have been successful in it. From what I hear, the visit visa is usually denied by the embassy, what about a student visa application?

Hi there,

What applies in your case is what is called Dual Intent. Based on the Dual Intent principle, A22(2), "“an intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay.”

"Possible scenarios

An applicant applies for a study permit to study in Canada; they also have a permanent resident application in place. The fact that the applicant also has an application to permanently reside in Canada with their spouse does not establish that they would not leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their study permit as required under R216(1)(b). IRPA expressly allows the applicant to simultaneously seek permanent resident status and temporary resident status."

Please visit the following link for more info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob131.asp

:)

S.