+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit with 9 year gap after completing Bachelor Degree in India.

vivekkumary

Apr 8, 2023
Hi All,

I am 30 years old, married with a kid. I got LOA for a 2-year PG diploma course in Conestoga College. However, I have finished my Bachelor's degree 9 years ago.
I have been working ever since. I have all offer letters/Experience letters to prove the same. My wife will be applying along with me to get an open work permit for the duration of my study.

How big of an impact will my 9-year gap have? What steps can I take to minimize my chances of rejection? If anyone was in a similar position, How did you navigate it?

Thanks,
Vivek.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I am 30 years old, married with a kid. I got LOA for a 2-year PG diploma course in Conestoga College. However, I have finished my Bachelor's degree 9 years ago.
I have been working ever since. I have all offer letters/Experience letters to prove the same. My wife will be applying along with me to get an open work permit for the duration of my study.

How big of an impact will my 9-year gap have? What steps can I take to minimize my chances of rejection? If anyone was in a similar position, How did you navigate it?

Thanks,
Vivek.
9 year gap isn’t an issue. Issue is usually proving that it makes sense to return to school and go abroad given the cost and that the choice of program makes sense based on previous education and work history. The choice of program must also lead to career advancement in your home country.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi All,

Thanks,
Vivek.
My study permit was approved with a 13 year gap - This does not matter so long as
1. Study is in a field which calls for some career progression
2. Justify WHY you want to study in Canada paying thousands of $ when you have options in your home country too
3. As like any TRV - Justify home ties & temporary stay & financials

Good Luck

vivekkumary

Apr 8, 2023
My study permit was approved with a 13 year gap - This does not matter so long as
1. Study is in a field which calls for some career progression
2. Justify WHY you want to study in Canada paying thousands of $ when you have options in your home country too
3. As like any TRV - Justify home ties & temporary stay & financials

Good Luck
To be clear, the only reason I am going to school now is to get a PGWP later and hopefully eventually get a PR. Should I state this in the application or should I beat around the bush?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
To be clear, the only reason I am going to school now is to get a PGWP later and hopefully eventually get a PR. Should I state this in the application or should I beat around the bush?
Well this may be your ultimate goal but from a TRV processing, you have to first meet the conditions that you make you eligible to get a Study Permit for a start. All other future applications are inconsequential to this application

Your desire for a PGWP and PR eventually is not the prerogative of the visa officer. Good Luck

Last edited: