+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay in Canada as a visitor

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi guys,

my visa is about to expire and I'm planning on staying in Canada as a visitor until I get invited to apply for PR.
I'm a German citizen and I know I don't need a visa to stay as a visitor.

How long can I stay and do I have to leave Canada and return as a visitor, just like you do when you activate a visa?

Thanks for your help!
Soph

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What kind of visa do you have now? If you want to remain in Canada without leaving, you'll need to apply to change your status to visitor before your current visa expires.

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi,

thanks for the reply! I currently have a work visa through the Young and Professional Visa option.

eddie.r

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yay wait.... u can not just stay... u have to change ur status. apply for visitor visa then, otherwise u will be illegal.... by the way how do u expect ITA?? do u have enough points for it? the best option for u if u find LMIA really fast the visitor visa is just max 6 months if they give u but now what i know without support (family in canada) and enough money they reject the visitor visa...... dont take a risk if u r planing to get PR ...

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
I'm getting my degree accredited, which will hopefully give me enough points, but I'm running out of time.
I do have family here in Canada and means to support myself.

Do you know if I have to "activate" this visitor visa by leaving the country?

eddie.r

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u can apply online for it but the border is faster tho.... make a profile now tho see how many points u have if its over 450 then try to stay if its not then better if u r waiting at home... no headache if u get ITA coz u r visitor ... they can mess with u like why did u stay as a visitor and apply for PR... visitor is the shittiest thing here in canada :(

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1_Soph_1 said:
I'm getting my degree accredited, which will hopefully give me enough points, but I'm running out of time.
I do have family here in Canada and means to support myself.

Do you know if I have to "activate" this visitor visa by leaving the country?
You must apply to change your status to visitor.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

You do not have to leave the country.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1_Soph_1 said:
Hi guys,

my visa is about to expire and I'm planning on staying in Canada as a visitor until I get invited to apply for PR.
I'm a German citizen and I know I don't need a visa to stay as a visitor.

How long can I stay and do I have to leave Canada and return as a visitor, just like you do when you activate a visa?

Thanks for your help!
Soph
You can apply to change your status to visitor, or you can go to the US for a while and then return as a visitor. Either way, you get 6 months. Then you can apply to extend, but that isn't always granted without a good reason.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dobes said:
You can apply to change your status to visitor, or you can go to the US for a while and then return as a visitor. Either way, you get 6 months. Then you can apply to extend, but that isn't always granted without a good reason.
Not true. There is no guarantee someone will be allowed back into Canada or given a six months visit - even if they are visa exempt. There is typically a higher chance of success if someone applies for a change of status from within Canada rather than flagpoling (i.e. going to the US).

Aug 17, 2015
scylla said:
Not true. There is no guarantee someone will be allowed back into Canada or given a six months visit - even if they are visa exempt. There is typically a higher chance of success if someone applies for a change of status from within Canada rather than flagpoling (i.e. going to the US).
Good information.