+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statuatory Declaration of Common Law

adamhopkins

Feb 28, 2017
I have recently sent off my PR application in Jan 18. My current work permit expires in May 2018. I'm currently appliying for an open work permit to work in correlation with my PR, meaning I would be able continue living and working in Canada until a decision on my PR is reached.

Whilst I'm filling in the forms I've noticed one in particualr which has confused me; IM5409e: Statuatory Declartion of Common Law.

In the document checklist for the application, it says to include this form if applicable. But I'm not 100% sure whether it is or not. I'll likely end up trying to call them for more info but thought I see what opinions I could get here first.

The form itself requires administering from a Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths or Commissioner of Affadavits

Was hoping soembody may be able to help me out on this

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I have recently sent off my PR application in Jan 18. My current work permit expires in May 2018. I'm currently appliying for an open work permit to work in correlation with my PR, meaning I would be able continue living and working in Canada until a decision on my PR is reached.

Whilst I'm filling in the forms I've noticed one in particualr which has confused me; IM5409e: Statuatory Declartion of Common Law.

In the document checklist for the application, it says to include this form if applicable. But I'm not 100% sure whether it is or not. I'll likely end up trying to call them for more info but thought I see what opinions I could get here first.

The form itself requires administering from a Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths or Commissioner of Affadavits

Was hoping soembody may be able to help me out on this

Thanks
Did you apply for your PR status with an INSIDE CANADA PR app?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes I applied for the PR from within Canada
You were supposed to have applied for the OWP in the same package as your PR app.

If applying for it now, you will need to hope the office processing the OWP can link it up to your PR app in progress. If they can, you should get the OWP in 3-4 months time.

Since your current IEC work permit is non-extendable, and you are applying for an entirely new kind of work permit, you'll need to stop working in Canada in May 2018, and can only start working again when you get the OWP in the mail.

I'm not too familiar in applying for the OWP, so not sure about the state the Stat Declaration form. I know it's not required for the PR app unless you have a co-signer, which doesnt' apply to family class apps. But not sure about the work permit.. Hopefully others who've applied for OWP with a common-law PR app in progress, can confirm.

adamhopkins

Feb 28, 2017
My current work permit is an open work permit, not an IEC. When it was originally approved it gave me 2 years but it could only run until May 2018 because my UK passport expired at the end of May. I have since renewed my passport so I am 'owed' 7 months from my original work permit

This is what I discussed with the immigration folks. Took me a while to get through to an agent but they told me that if I sent off my open work permit application, along with a letter of explanation of my situation, that they would link it with my PR, then after May 2018 I would be on Implied status until I hear a reply, so I would still be able to work. I just would not be able to leave the country otherwise I lose that status. Failing that, I should be eligible to the remianing 7 months from the original work permit

Just not sure about this Statutory Declaration. I may have to call them again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My current work permit is an open work permit, not an IEC. When it was originally approved it gave me 2 years but it could only run until May 2018 because my UK passport expired at the end of May. I have since renewed my passport so I am 'owed' 7 months from my original work permit

This is what I discussed with the immigration folks. Took me a while to get through to an agent but they told me that if I sent off my open work permit application, along with a letter of explanation of my situation, that they would link it with my PR, then after May 2018 I would be on Implied status until I hear a reply, so I would still be able to work. I just would not be able to leave the country otherwise I lose that status. Failing that, I should be eligible to the remianing 7 months from the original work permit

Just not sure about this Statutory Declaration. I may have to call them again.
What kind of open work permit do you have now, if it's not from IEC? PGWP maybe?

Whether you can continue working or not on implied status depends on if the current work permit is extendable or not.

Perhaps post your question on the stat declaration form, to the INLAND thread on Family Class Sponsorship page of this forum.