+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Standard Questions about my Application!

Feb 8, 2012
Hello, all! I'm planning to emigrate to Canada (Ottawa, Ontario) to begin studying at Carleton University's Architectural Program this coming Fall semester.

First, a little background into my particular situation (might shed some light on everything):
-I am an American citizen and student, attempting to emigrate to Canada (from Texas, no less)
-As of this post, I am a part time student and working on a few things to complete my application to Carleton & Ryerson Universities
-I am working full time to save up for the financial requirements necessary to be granted a Canadian Study Permit

Also important to this situation is that my girlfriend of two years (a Canadian citizen) has two wonderful parents (both Canadian born; her mother is from Toronto, her father from Montreal) willing to sponsor me over the duration of my studies in Canada. I have a few questions, so excuse me if they seem a bit scattered.

1) How much financially do I need to have set aside? Her parents have already offered me a sum of $10,000, and I am working right now to fund the additional living and educational expenses, which I'm estimating will equal between $5,000 and $10,000 by the time I apply for my study permit; in addition to this, as an American citizen, I understand I can still expect strictly loans from the US federal government (ONLY loans; no grants or the like). With all of these, I expect my finances to total between $28,000 and $30,000

2) During the duration of my stay, my girlfriend and I plan to have an apartment together and split the cost of our rent, food, etc. Could informing an immigration officer of this possibly lower the expected finances needed to satisfy any financial requirements on my part? I only ask because the expected living requirements would essentially be halved (for obvious reasons). Also as a side note to this question, when renting an apartment, would I be allowed to sign a lease, or cosign a lease?

3) As unfortunate as it is, I am also a diabetic; fortunately, as it were, I take good care of and have no additional illnesses due to my diabetes. I understand that diabetes does not mean medical inadmissibility, however, my concern lies in the general question of where I would get my medication? If needed, I could still be listed under my parents' health insurance here in the US but I'm unaware of how this would work in a foreign country. In addition to this, would I need to have a medical check before receiving a study permit?

4) How would my girlfriend's parents go about sponsoring me as a US citizen? I understand that this takes place during the application process, but was wondering what exactly to follow in terms of a guideline.

5) On the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website, under the study permit section, there are mentions of applying for dual intent; from what I've been able to derive from this, a dual intent application would allow me to begin the steps to becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada and eventually a citizen, however I also must be able to prove that if becoming a Permanent Resident does not work out, I will still honor the original agreement to leave the country at the end of my studies. My question is how would I go about taking the steps towards a dual intent study permit/visa?

I know this has all been quite a long read, so I appreciate you for your time; I've been unable to find a straight answer for these question anywhere so I figured I'd come to the experts. Any commentary or advice is readily welcome and I thank you for any help you might've been able to give me.

Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with a few:

1) You need to be able to show first year tuition + $10K living expenses + travel expenses. Note that the tuition fees for foreign students (such as yourself) are not the same as the tuition fees for domestic / Canadian students. Make sure you are looking at the right fees when creating your budget.
2) No - this won't lower the $10K living expense cost CIC will expect you to show. You need to have the full $10K
3) You need to check with your parents' health insurance company to see if you are covered in Canada. If not, you'll need to purchase separate health insurance and may have to pay for your diabetes medication out of pocket.
4) Your girlfriend's parents cannot sponsor you. Only she can sponsor you once you are either married or have become common law (common law = lived together for a minimum of one full year).
5) Can't help you with this one...

Feb 8, 2012
Hi, again.

First off, thanks for your answers, however I think some of these things might be disputed; on the CIC website, under a "Letter of invitation", I was led to believe that a person could sponsor a family OR friend, so long as they kept the promises made in the letter and the sponsoring of said family or friend would be genuine. So is this accurate or has there just been a mix up? Sorry for any confusion, obviously I'm not an expert hah.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
elephantsarethebest said:
Hi, again.

First off, thanks for your answers, however I think some of these things might be disputed; on the CIC website, under a "Letter of invitation", I was led to believe that a person could sponsor a family OR friend, so long as they kept the promises made in the letter and the sponsoring of said family or friend would be genuine. So is this accurate or has there just been a mix up? Sorry for any confusion, obviously I'm not an expert hah.
A letter of invitation is for someone who wants to come here for a visit only - i.e. as a tourist (temporary resident permit).

You are looking to immigrate (i.e. come here premanently). To immigrate via family class you need to be sponsored by a member of your family (and you don't need a letter of invitation). Your girlfriend's parents don't qualify as family. She will qualify as family (and therefore qualify to sponsor you) once you are either married or common law.