+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visa

kostaz

Jun 23, 2009
Hello,

I'm sponsoring my wife and we sent the documents to Alberta at the beginning of March. She lives with me and it's a in-Canada application.

I have the following questions:

1. Her temporary worker (Working Holiday) visa expires in July. Which visa should we get for her to stay here while the visa is approved?
2. When will we hear from them? I heard conflicting reports of 1-2 months to 6-7 months.

Thanks!

I

iarblue

As long as the application is in process and its an inland she can stay here till she gets her pr.Then she will have to go to cic to land good luck.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
iarblue said:
As long as the application is in process and its an inland she can stay here till she gets her pr.Then she will have to go to cic to land good luck.
no, she has to ask to extend her stay. if she cant extend her work visa then she should apply for visitor visa. she can ask for a year. we applied inland and i asked for half a year extend my visitor visa, but they extended for a year, since inland process takes long time. i got their letter with extended visa after 3 months of wait. u can see my timeline bellow.

if she wont have a legal status in canada while inland in process, she will have to restore her legal status. so better extend her stay. when she gets AIP and open work permit she wont need to extend it anymore, i heard open work permit covers it.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
Your status in Canada

You must have legal temporary resident status in Canada to remain in the country legally without the possibility of being removed. Having legal temporary resident status means you have a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration, which allows you to remain in Canada for the period of time specified on your visitor document (work permit, study permit) or on your temporary resident permit.

CIC will process your application for permanent residence on a first-come first-served basis. However, we receive large volumes of applications for permanent residence and cannot guarantee that all processing procedures will be completed before your temporary resident status as a visitor, worker, student or permit holder expires.
Your responsibility

It is your responsibility to ensure that your temporary resident status remains valid until you receive permanent resident status. When you leave Canada, you relinquish your temporary resident status and may not be able to return to Canada.
Maintaining legal status in Canada

You have two options available to ensure that your legal temporary status in Canada remains valid until permanent residence is confirmed:

1. You can apply for both an extension of your temporary resident status and permanent resident status at the same time. If you choose this option, complete both an application to extend your status and an application for permanent residence. Be sure to include both applications and all the supporting documents and fees that are required in the same envelope.

Note: The acceptance of your application for temporary resident status does not guarantee the acceptance of your application for permanent residence.

2. You can apply to extend your temporary resident status separately from the application for permanent residence, but you must do so before your temporary status expires. You have legal status for the period of time indicated on your visitor document (work permit, study permit, visitor record) or temporary resident permit.

Note: On February 18, 2005, the Minister announced a new public policy under which legal immigration status is no longer a requirement for spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply permanent resident status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. However, all other eligibility requirements continue to apply.

Although out-of-status spouses and common-law partners may now apply for permanent residence in the Spouse or Common-law Partner Class, persons without legal immigration status in Canada are unable to work or study and may be subject to removal proceedings at any time for failing to have or maintain legal immigration status in Canada.

Rocky636

Jan 7, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th May 2010
Doc's Request.
23-August-2010 Asked RPRF & Pics return back
AOR Received.
23-June-10
File Transfer...
18-June-2010
Med's Done....
24-March-2010
Interview........
11-August-2010
Passport Req..
8-July-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-December-2010
LANDED..........
21-January-2011
Asta, TRV is maximum for six months so how she can ask for a year?

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
Rocky636 said:
Asta, TRV is maximum for six months so how she can ask for a year?
because u are applying inland, and inland normally takes around a year to process. based on that u can ask extension for a year. if u will ask for half year, then when it will come to an end u would need to ask for another half year, which is each 75 bucks. unless u get ur OWP granted which covers visitor stay visa and u dont need to extend ur stay anymore.

i asked for visitor stay extension together with my spouse sponsorship application. i asked for half a year, but they gave me a year. i got their response in 3 months.