+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa Outland From New Zealand

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of help. So my wife is Canadian and im from New Zealand and we are looking at going to Canada to live for a while next year. What is the best way to get me there so i can get a job?

Would it be an outland Spouse visa? We also have a baby due in a couple of weeks which will have a NZ passport too.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? We have heaps of time as its not until next year we want to make a move :)

Thanks heaps

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of help. So my wife is Canadian and im from New Zealand and we are looking at going to Canada to live for a while next year. What is the best way to get me there so i can get a job?

Would it be an outland Spouse visa? We also have a baby due in a couple of weeks which will have a NZ passport too.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? We have heaps of time as its not until next year we want to make a move :)

Thanks heaps
Exciting, congrats on the baby!

So when you say you want to live there for a while, does that mean not permanently?

If you want to work while in Canada, you can see if you meet the requirements for a working holiday visa and once you're there it will let you work during your stay, I think Kiwis get 23 months, double check though and there is an age limit.

Spouse visa is an option for permanent residency. You guys can apply any time, but if you want to get to Canada before applying then see if the working holiday is an option and then apply inland or if no WHV then enter Canada as a visitor then apply, but if you're a visitor then you cannot work.

Inland will let you apply for a work permit, so once the working holiday expires you'd still be able to continue working - If you can get a WHV otherwise just have to wait for your permit.
Outland is the other option, no work permit and you would only be there under visitor status. If you were on a WHV then once that expires you'd have to stop working and just be a visitor and cannot leave the country for long periods of time, probably about 1-2 weeks max.

Hope that helps :)

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Wow, thanks soo much for the fast reply and all the info.

Ok so looks like the best option is WHV and then we can get there and then apply for inland. Question around baby then. What happens there? If i have a WHV and my wife was born there what do we need for baby? I would like to think baby will not be working :p

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM

Ok so looks like the best option is WHV and then we can get there and then apply for inland. Question around baby then. What happens there? If i have a WHV and my wife was born there what do we need for baby? I would like to think baby will not be working :p
Bub can enter with NZ passport and then you guys can apply for the Canadian one once you're there. For more info, check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/apply.html

I'm in the same situation with my kiwi husband so I've done lots of research on our options but sadly he's already used up his WHV so he can't get another one, so I moved to Chch in the meantime while we wait for his PR. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Wow you have the answers for everything :) Last question, so if i do the WHV, do i have to leave like fast if i get chosen? Or Do you have a time frame? I wanted to leave early next year so wanted to work out the timing . Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

When the baby is born, apply ASAP for a Certificate of Citizenship. You can concurrently apply for a limited validity Canadian passport with proof of travel.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Wow you have the answers for everything :) Last question, so if i do the WHV, do i have to leave like fast if i get chosen? Or Do you have a time frame? I wanted to leave early next year so wanted to work out the timing . Thanks again
Nah not fast, there will be a date by which you'd have to enter which is normally a year. They will tell you on your visa confirmation what the date is that you must enter by and it cannot be extended. If you do a medical, it will be valid until the expiry date of your medical or for twelve months, whichever is less. In any case there is no rush from when you hear back from them. So plenty of time to plan your move :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Bub can enter with NZ passport and then you guys can apply for the Canadian one once you're there. For more info, check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/apply.html

I'm in the same situation with my kiwi husband so I've done lots of research on our options but sadly he's already used up his WHV so he can't get another one, so I moved to Chch in the meantime while we wait for his PR. Hope this helps, good luck! :)
As a Canadian citizen, your child does not qualify for an eTA and is actually required to travel to Canada on a Canadian passport. People have obtained eTAs for their foregin-born children by not declaring the child's Canadian citizenship in the eTA app but that is lying to IRCC.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
As a Canadian citizen, your child does not qualify for an eTA and is actually required to travel to Canada on a Canadian passport. People have obtained eTAs for their foregin-born children by
Sweet thanks for clarifying that, wasn't completely sure about foreign born children and the process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Also, you really shouldn't wait to apply for your child's proof of citizenship, as you may face issues with things like provincial health coverage for the child once you come to Canada.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Hello again, so the good news i got my WHV in about a month. So green light there. Just wanted to ask around baby. So mum is canadian and im a kiwi. Is there a link you could share to what we need to do to get baby the right documents to come too please?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello again, so the good news i got my WHV in about a month. So green light there. Just wanted to ask around baby. So mum is canadian and im a kiwi. Is there a link you could share to what we need to do to get baby the right documents to come too please?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

You can apply concurrently for a limited validity Canadian passport for the baby.

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Hey thanks soo much for all your help so far. You have been such a great help. I have one last question. On the form there is a big section that i need to fill in about being the dad. But it asks questions like How did this parent obtain Canadian citizenship?
On what date did this parent first enter Canada to live? (YYYY-MM-DD)

gainze

Mar 11, 2018
Sorry another question, if we just do the passport when we are there. Do we need to get baby a ETA visa to enter ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey thanks soo much for all your help so far. You have been such a great help. I have one last question. On the form there is a big section that i need to fill in about being the dad. But it asks questions like How did this parent obtain Canadian citizenship?
On what date did this parent first enter Canada to live? (YYYY-MM-DD)
Put N/A for those kinds of questions.