+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship question

futuremrsn

Sep 26, 2013
Hello!
My fiance is Canadian, and I'm a Filipino living in the US. I'm a legal resident here, just not a citizen.
Anyway, we plan on getting married next year, having been dating for about four years now. We we're looking around at how long sponsorships would process, and we found ourselves confused at something: Do we have to be married before he sponsors me, or can I be considered a partner?
We want to start our application as soon as possible, and his sponsorship application would be okay, but we don't know what i would apply for as a permanent resident.
If we submit our applications now (in hopes of getting it done by our wedding date and having us move there immediately), I won't be his spouse legally. He can't take time off work to come here and sign marriage papers because he just started his job and we want to save as much of his days off as we can for the wedding. Same for me.
Is there a way we can submit our applications early WITHOUT being actually married yet? We do have the documents proving our relationship, from e-mails to chat transcripts to pictures of when he visits. Even phone records.
Help @.@

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only submit an application before you get married if you are common law. Being common law means that you have lived together for a minimum of one full year straight.

So in your case the answer is no. You must get married before you can submit the sponsorship application.