+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship ( open work permit + criminal record)

Ngoc Clement

Apr 24, 2018
Hi! I have some questions I am looking for the answers. Please help me if you can.
I ( staying in Canada on study permit) and my husband (Canadian Citizen), we got married a year ago and we want to Spouse Sponsorship. However, we got some difficulties, which can interrupt my application.

1. I decided to not go to school next year because of my financial situation, therefore I can’t stay in study permit to stayin Canada. Can my husband sponsor/ help me get a visitor visa to keep me stay in Canada with him while we deal with our problem and apply for Sponsorship? And how long my visitor visa would be?

2. The reason we can’t apply right now is that he has a bench warrant. ( We are dealing with it and go to court soon.)
My 2nd question is Can he still able to sponsor me while he is on trial? Or help me to get a Work permit? Or we have to deal with everything before applying Spouse Sponsorship Application?

Thank you. I know there’s little possibility for that but I just want to make sure about my chance whether I can get a work permit because if I have to wait till everything is done, I have to stay home and 2 people living on 1 person salary is a bit hard.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I have some questions I am looking for the answers. Please help me if you can.
I ( staying in Canada on study permit) and my husband (Canadian Citizen), we got married a year ago and we want to Spouse Sponsorship. However, we got some difficulties, which can interrupt my application.

1. I decided to not go to school next year because of my financial situation, therefore I can’t stay in study permit to stayin Canada. Can my husband sponsor/ help me get a visitor visa to keep me stay in Canada with him while we deal with our problem and apply for Sponsorship? And how long my visitor visa would be?

2. The reason we can’t apply right now is that he has a bench warrant. ( We are dealing with it and go to court soon.)
My 2nd question is Can he still able to sponsor me while he is on trial? Or help me to get a Work permit? Or we have to deal with everything before applying Spouse Sponsorship Application?

Thank you. I know there’s little possibility for that but I just want to make sure about my chance whether I can get a work permit because if I have to wait till everything is done, I have to stay home and 2 people living on 1 person salary is a bit hard.
What are the charges? There are certain charges / convictions that can prevent a sponsor from sponsoring a spouse. Are they at all related to any kind of violence against a family member?

You cannot apply for a work permit separately. You can only apply for a work permit together with an inland spousal sponsorship application - you have to submit everything together.

Ngoc Clement

Apr 24, 2018
The charge is he got caught with marijuana in his car years ago. Nothing to do with violence against family members.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The charge is he got caught with marijuana in his car years ago. Nothing to do with violence against family members.
OK - that's good. I would go ahead and submit the spousal sponsorship application + OWP as soon as you can. I don't know what IRCC will do given your husband has charges outstanding. They may not process the application until the charges are resolved - or they may go ahead.

Ngoc Clement

Apr 24, 2018
I has been asking around and some say you can’t do anything until u deal with it. Because the warrant means my husband might have go to to jail and one of the requirements is not being in jail for the sponsor.
I don’t know if I apply now and Will the CIC refuse my application for my sponsor not meeting the requirement?
What do you think? Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited: