+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - long distance (short duration) - no cultural ceremony

pjptsujit

Oct 7, 2024
I immigrated from Nepal to Canada in April. I met my girlfriend on a dating app a few weeks before immigrating. We went on just 7 dates and took pictures back then. We had decided to do long distance. We have pictures at the airport too when I left. We have been in constant communication for 6 months now. By now both our parents are aware, have they have met and both families agree about the marriage. I am planning to go to to Nepal in December 2024 and have a court marriage. Due to some astrological reasons, I can't have a cultural engagement/marriage/wedding.

I will have good proof of communication, a marriage certificate, and pictures with both families.

Since it's a been a short relationship, we haven't met in person too long, and we won't have a cultural ceremony, is it considered a red flag or a marriage of convenience?

I appreciate any help here.

Charlamanderxxxx

Jun 27, 2024
Toronto
Category........
FAM
I immigrated from Nepal to Canada in April. I met my girlfriend on a dating app a few weeks before immigrating. We went on just 7 dates and took pictures back then. We had decided to do long distance. We have pictures at the airport too when I left. We have been in constant communication for 6 months now. By now both our parents are aware, have they have met and both families agree about the marriage. I am planning to go to to Nepal in December 2024 and have a court marriage. Due to some astrological reasons, I can't have a cultural engagement/marriage/wedding.

I will have good proof of communication, a marriage certificate, and pictures with both families.

Since it's a been a short relationship, we haven't met in person too long, and we won't have a cultural ceremony, is it considered a red flag or a marriage of convenience?

Hi there. First of all, decide if you would like to apply inland or outland then check Document Checklist: Spouse (Including Dependent Children) [IMM 5533] there is a question if you guys live together or not and they ask for different types of documents/proof if you answer yes or no. You can also add an explanation letter explaining your relationship as well.

for the part of the relationship photos, you can provide photos of the court wedding, when you guys went out, you with her friends and family, and her with your friends and family. You guys at the airport and you guys went for dates should be okay, You can add a brief explanation and date underneath each photo. Social media posts of you two getting engaged or your relationship is recognized by people and letters of proof of your relationships by friends, and family members would work too. As long as your relationship is genuine, provide everything they ask. I hope this helps!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Will you planned to stay with your new spouse for a while before returning to Canada? The lack of in person time before and after marriage may be a concern.

pjptsujit

Oct 7, 2024
Will you planned to stay with your new spouse for a while before returning to Canada? The lack of in person time before and after marriage may be a concern.
I live and work in Canada now and I won't be able to stay there for long. It's the case where I want to marry someone from my country but I am already settled here with PR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If the relationship is not an arranged marriage, then it is probably not a 'red flag', i.e. a thing that on its own can block the application.

Perhaps more like a yellow card in soccer. Something they will note, depending on country, background and other aspects. You'll have to provide sufficient evidence to overcome that and the short lenght of the relationship.

As others have noted: the amount of physical time together at multiple times, on your own as adults, is pretty important. Make the best case you can.

Now note: I don't know all that much about the culture and traditions of Nepal. But if you and your families are not deeply cultural/religious (which I assume not since you're not doing that type of marriage) - write that in a letter of explanation to IRCC. Have a wedding and celebration of some sort, even if smaller/shorter/less elaborate than typically carried out, so that you have something to show. If you have some family and friends present, that will help (get photos!).

Also: it's okay to note that big weddings/celebrations are expensive and you chose to have a smaller one.