+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship/ living together

BLACKVINO8

May 4, 2017
Hello there,
I’m officially married to a Canadian citizen we both are living In Canada but not yet together . Meaning, we have our marriage certificate but Haven’t done the wedding yet . the wedding ceremony will be held on July 2020. In our culture we don’t move in together until we do the wedding . I’m on a visitor visa and we are working on the application So we can apply soon I don’t wanna lie to the government and say we are living together now , however my last extension visa that I’m expecting to receive soon have her address as my address.
What do you think we should answer in the application when they ask if we are living together ?
I’m worried if I answer no they wouldn’t understand and doesn’t make sense to them that we are married and both in Canada but not living together.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are in Canada right now, you have to live with her to be sponsored as an in-Canada spouse. It's not optional.

You can apply outland, but that would mean no work permit and you'd have to maintain status in Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
agree with k.h.p., you need to live physically together to apply for inland spousal sponsorship.

On top of that, from what you've stated: "In our culture we don’t move in together until we do the wedding .", I don't think you are considered MARRIED yet culturally. You may have issue applying as married even if you have signed the legal document.

This usually is the case for outland application because the married couple cannot live together in some cases (because they are in different countries) and have issued with the sponsorship application because CIC doesn't think they are REALLY married. (wedding ceremony, honeymoon...etc)

Reactions: k.h.p.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CIC is very aware of religious and cultural expectations. Without proof of the religious ceremonies your sponsorship is likely to be denied. We have seen many similar cases.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there,
I’m officially married to a Canadian citizen we both are living In Canada but not yet together . Meaning, we have our marriage certificate but Haven’t done the wedding yet . the wedding ceremony will be held on July 2020. In our culture we don’t move in together until we do the wedding . I’m on a visitor visa and we are working on the application So we can apply soon I don’t wanna lie to the government and say we are living together now , however my last extension visa that I’m expecting to receive soon have her address as my address.
What do you think we should answer in the application when they ask if we are living together ?
I’m worried if I answer no they wouldn’t understand and doesn’t make sense to them that we are married and both in Canada but not living together.
There is a very big difference between a legal marriage on paper and an actual marriage as per the requirements of your culture. I'm going to assume that as per your culture, you aren't really considered married until after the proper ceremonies are done and you are actually living together. If you apply now (outland would be your only option since you don't live together), you are pretty much guaranteed an interview (which would be in your home country) or a Procedural Fairness letter. IRCC is fully aware of the cultural requirements for people of various countries/religions to be actually be considered married.

Wait until after July and completion of all ceremonies.