+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsored

Soniya_nelson

Sep 15, 2024
My husband took my PR card as we getting separated and I am in India nowadays. He has drinking issues and he abused me mentally for 5 years. I came to canada in April 2023 as he sponsored ne. After a year living together I finally decided that i can not do this. I lost my job at corporate because of him.
Now he is threatening me that he will return my PR card to canada government and they will cancel it. Also he is forcing me to give his sponsorship back to him.

Can he do this?
Seeking for advice. Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband took my PR card as we getting separated and I am in India nowadays. He has drinking issues and he abused me mentally for 5 years. I came to canada in April 2023 as he sponsored ne. After a year living together I finally decided that i can not do this. I lost my job at corporate because of him.
Now he is threatening me that he will return my PR card to canada government and they will cancel it. Also he is forcing me to give his sponsorship back to him.

Can he do this?
Seeking for advice. Thank you.
Do you want to go back to Canada? If not, you don't need PR card. But if you do want to return to Canada, why did you left Canada and came to India? Why didn't you just move to another province and move on?

Soniya_nelson

Sep 15, 2024
He somehow took me back To India. He played a game with me. He said he just wanted to meet our parents as he wanted to follow the Indian rituals. And then he stolen my card and now he said he will give my pr card back to Canadian government and he will withdraw it.
Ye i want to come back to canada.

Is there any process that he can do that?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He somehow took me back To India. He played a game with me. He said he just wanted to meet our parents as he wanted to follow the Indian rituals. And then he stolen my card and now he said he will give my pr card back to Canadian government and he will withdraw it.
Ye i want to come back to canada.

Is there any process that he can do that?
He is just trying to scare you. He is lying. You are PR and the government will not take that away from you. In fact, he is financially responsible to you for the next two years. If you return to Canada and go on social assistance then he has to pay that pack.

So without your card, the only way back is a) apply for PRTD and re-enter, or b) enter through a US land border.

Soniya_nelson

Sep 15, 2024
yes I know about the PRTD process. The only things is scaring me the most that as he has my pr card so on behalf of me can he let the government know that he is taking this back as he sponsored me and if he will do this, will government contact me or they will do it without my concent?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yes I know about the PRTD process. The only things is scaring me the most that as he has my pr card so on behalf of me can he let the government know that he is taking this back as he sponsored me and if he will do this, will government contact me or they will do it without my concent?
So what that he has your PR card. He stole it and can do nothing with it. He cannot take back sponsorship or have your PR cancelled. Even if he contacts the government, the government will tell him they will not cancel your PR. You have been PR for over a year. He is just threatening you and trying to scare you. Ignore him. He is still financially responsible for you for the next 2 years.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Sure i will do that. I have few relatives over there and have my enough savings from my previous job. Thank you
Next time he tries to scare you, tell him you've reported him to the RCMP and IRCC for stealing your PR card and that when you get your PRTD and go back to Canada, you're going to make sure you sign up for every social program you can that he will have to pay back. And that divorce in Canada is 50/50, and you have a lawyer in Canada assessing his assets now.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl