+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - ability to work during renewal

ghkhuu88

May 1, 2022
Hello,

I am holding an LMIA-exempt closed work permit (NOC 2121, skill level B with 3 pay stubs) and my spouse has a spouse open work permit. I am wondering if anyone has or had a spouse open work permit could help me with the following questions:

1. In the case that I can extend my contract and renew my closed work permit, can my spouse's work permit be renewed at the same time as mine?
  2. During the renewal process, I know that I can continue working after my permit expires if I renew at least 30-day before the current one expires. However, does this also apply to my spouse's open work permit situation? Can he continue working during the renewal process if his permit expires? I'm not sure if the "maintained/implied status" can be applied to my spouse.
  3. Another question is should my spouse switch to a closed work permit sponsored by his employer so that he can work undisrupted? If my spouse changes his open work permit to a closed work permit, can he work under his current open work permit while the closed work permit is being processed?
My spouse is having a job that he loves, so we are trying to figure out the best way that he can continue working without any interruption. I really appreciate your shared experiences and thought!